Why does so much classical music sound unfinished?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sometimes composers actually want their music to sound incomplete, says Ivan Hewett.

You might ask why composers would do such an odd thing, and one straightforward answer is; to keep people listening. It’s been a common trick in pop music every since A Hard Day’s Night to keep the listeners hanging on for the next track on an album, by fading out a song rather than ending it. Jazz musicians do something similar, by ending a piece on a surprising harmony.

Schumann was a master of this effect. The first song in Dichterliebe circles round on itself, and at the end we’re left hanging.

Why does so much classical music sound unfinished? - Telegraph

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Won't bother trying to match wits with Shadow and Vehicle...;)...but ending a song is one of the most difficult things for anyone to manage. How many rocks songs repeat the same chorus/verse at the end and the producer just fades it out to silence? More than I can count.

It's like an artist painting, deciding when it's finished is excruciating for a lot of them

I'm a big classical fan but not of 'lieders or opera', for me it's the symphonies, concertos and sonatas that I listen to. Robert Schumann gets overlooked by many, but his 4 symphonies and cello concerto are excellent.:mn:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.