Who Stayed Too Long? Who Didn't Stay Long Enough?

newdawnfades

Reaction score
You know the bands. For some reason they were on the path to greatness and along the way something short circuited and everything fell apart. They missed their chance.

Then you have those bands that stuck around too long. Soiled their legacy by not knowing when to hang it up. They embarrassed themselves and/or harmed their reputation.

So who didn't stick around long enough? Who stuck around too long?

eccentric man

Reaction score
the easiest answer for someone who stuck around too long...

THE ROLLING STONES. seriously this is what like their 6th decade in existance?

as for those who weren't around long enough. i'll go with an old and new combo

jimi hendrix
blind melon

eccentric man

Reaction score
good question. i guess time will tell if it really did or not. but at this point they seem so far removed from what they started out as that it's hard to consider their actions of today to really have a negative reflection on their past. their classic albums are always going to be great but i've got my doubts on many people really getting excited about finding a copy of 'voodoo lounge' in a couple of years. so i think their original legacy is safe unless keith pulls a michael jackson or something equally wrong hehehe.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I don't think it has hurt their overall image as the bad boys of rock. While nothing new will ever equal their pinnacle material I don't really look down on them for continuing to tour. Of course i'm not really a fan either.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Well, I'm a fan and I think it's great they're still touring. However, I do admit their earlier work is what will make them a one of the greatest rock and roll bands. A Bigger Bang is a pretty good album but not even close to the quality of Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers. And of course I don't even want to go into Voodoo Lounge and the rest.

Guess it's just I'm kind old too so I am glad they're still around. LOL

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Thought about who didn't stay long enough.

Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Buckley
Janis Joplin

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Yeah, I certainly agree about Hendrix and especially Buckley. And here's one that might surprise some. I think the Beatles definitely didn't stay long enough. If they could have just kept those damned egos in check, I think their best work as a band could have easily been ahead of them. When I think of U2, now together for 30 years (counting their "apprentice years" in the late 70s) and still doing great work, I think the Beatles just simply should have tried harder to really work together.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Great observation, Rev. Such talent, such chemistry....such a waste. I'm afraid it was the ego thing in the end. And of course, though John was my favorite Beatle, he was probably the one who was hardest to get along with.

Thank goodness U2 doesn't seem to have that problem. No matter what the naysayers think and say about Bono, I think he's probably quite down to earth from what I've learned about him throughout his career.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online