Who here plays the guitar?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I started playing when I was 21 and now I'm 29. I have been playing on and off for years. Still not all that good but can play a few songs.

I have the same guitar I got back in 1998 (Strat) and have a worn out acoustic guitar that is probably older then me.

Does this forum ahve alot of guitar players? If your one, post how long you have been playing, what you have, and how good you really are. :p

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I play guitar. I legitimately have no clue when I started playing guitar but it can't be too much more than a few years. I use my brother Kevin's Washburn electric (I think '93) plus I have my awesome Yamaha acousitc with extremely high action and I just got a sweet classical guitar with a huge kneck. How good am I...? Well I don't have any fans but I think I can handwave my way through some cool stuff.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
IM 33, and got my first gutar, the one I still play when I was 14. I have had it for almost 20 years I guess. It is a Peavy Patriot. I fiddled with it and took lessons for a while, buit then got distracted by cars, girls, and pot. I took it back up two years ago. Still not great, I don't practice near enough, and when I do, have a hard time focusing (most likely a.d.d.). But I do have some fun with it. I don't go so much for learning songs, so much as I like learning scales and how they work, so i can jam wwith songs, rather than play them note for note.

FoulSanctity

Irreverent as Hell
Reaction score
I've been playing on a daily basis for a little over three years and enoy it immensely. I'm decent enough, but have plenty more work to do.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
I play guitar, as well as bass, drums and piano. I've also picked up other stuff like accordion and mandolin.

I've been playing guitar since about 1990. I'm not real good at leads, but rhythm is a snap (and I use barre chords and such all the time). I'm also pretty good at figuring out odd guitar parts, like the ones on XTC's "Drums And Wires," for instance.

I'm good at faking a lot of stuff, like the fingerpicking on "Spanish Caravan."

eccentric man

Reaction score
i started playing on valentine's day 1993 so it's been almost 13 years now. it's got nothing to do with the actual date it's just coincidence that the sunday i picked up my first guitar was v-day.

i did the whole classic rock thing for the rest of high school learning led zep and anything else i'd find in guitar world magazine. the days of online tab archives were still a few years away.

after i dropped out of college in 95 i ended up practicing a LOT more between my job at a grocery store and had a routine of alt rock and heavier stuff with some hendrix mixed in. i played lots of soundgarden, metallica and red hot chili peppers especially.

ended up getting my fender in the fall of 95 on my 19th b-day. it's a sunburst '94 mexican strat and it's still great today. had to get the neck serviced a few years ago because the strip covering the truss rod had popped out but aside from that everything is solid. i also got myself a marshall valvestate 40 exactly a year later on my 20th b-day. i've got no idea how many hours i spent with those two once i had them.

i'd say i was at my prime when i went back to college for the last time in the late 90s. to the point where i'd say i was actually bordering between decent and good depending on who you talked to and what they expected. then i ended up having to spend a summer off the coast of washington state guitar-less. it's never been the same since. i still enjoyed playing but having to relearn everything really killed my entusiasm towards the instrument.

once i moved away from that college town i ended up playing in an improv rock band for a few years with some friends i had met at the school. it was mainly what we did every saturday afternoon but we did end up being asked to perform in public a few times. technically we opened for alexisonfire before they got big.

then i had an 18 month sabbatical that ended this past april when i moved back to the east coast of canada. i didn't mean to stop playing for that long but where i was hoping the change of living location would help stir some creative juices it turned out to be the opposite. whatever, i'm back to playing at least once a week now and i guess i'm decent but that's all relative.

holy crap that was a long ass ramble. anyway here's a breakdown of the gear i own now.

electrics -
mexican fender stratocaster
epiphone special 2
capri (extra cheap les paul copy)
some no name sears guitar that's being converted into a fretless guitar.

my acoustic is a yamaha FG170 - it's a woman's guitar but the tone is fantastic.

i've also got 2 basses. a 4 string aria pro 2 cat series and a samick 5 string fretless.

amps - peavey rage / marshall valvestate 40 (needs servicing)

effects -
vox wah
DOD - digital delay / classic tube distortion
BOSS - octaver / chorus ensemble / flanger
ibanez phaser
zum volume

H

halcyon days

eccentric man said:
i started playing on valentine's day 1993 so it's been almost 13 years now. it's got nothing to do with the actual date it's just coincidence that the sunday i picked up my first guitar was v-day.

i did the whole classic rock thing for the rest of high school learning led zep and anything else i'd find in guitar world magazine. the days of online tab archives were still a few years away.

after i dropped out of college in 95 i ended up practicing a LOT more between my job at a grocery store and had a routine of alt rock and heavier stuff with some hendrix mixed in. i played lots of soundgarden, metallica and red hot chili peppers especially.

ended up getting my fender in the fall of 95 on my 19th b-day. it's a sunburst '94 mexican strat and it's still great today. had to get the neck serviced a few years ago because the strip covering the truss rod had popped out but aside from that everything is solid. i also got myself a marshall valvestate 40 exactly a year later on my 20th b-day. i've got no idea how many hours i spent with those two once i had them.

i'd say i was at my prime when i went back to college for the last time in the late 90s. to the point where i'd say i was actually bordering between decent and good depending on who you talked to and what they expected. then i ended up having to spend a summer off the coast of washington state guitar-less. it's never been the same since. i still enjoyed playing but having to relearn everything really killed my entusiasm towards the instrument.

once i moved away from that college town i ended up playing in an improv rock band for a few years with some friends i had met at the school. it was mainly what we did every saturday afternoon but we did end up being asked to perform in public a few times. technically we opened for alexisonfire before they got big.

then i had an 18 month sabbatical that ended this past april when i moved back to the east coast of canada. i didn't mean to stop playing for that long but where i was hoping the change of living location would help stir some creative juices it turned out to be the opposite. whatever, i'm back to playing at least once a week now and i guess i'm decent but that's all relative.

holy crap that was a long ass ramble. anyway here's a breakdown of the gear i own now.

electrics -
mexican fender stratocaster
epiphone special 2
capri (extra cheap les paul copy)
some no name sears guitar that's being converted into a fretless guitar.

my acoustic is a yamaha FG170 - it's a woman's guitar but the tone is fantastic.

i've also got 2 basses. a 4 string aria pro 2 cat series and a samick 5 string fretless.

amps - peavey rage / marshall valvestate 40 (needs servicing)

effects -
vox wah
DOD - digital delay / classic tube distortion
BOSS - octaver / chorus ensemble / flanger
ibanez phaser
zum volume

that is soo cool em.....i don't play i wish i could play the drums, but a real good buddy of mine plays and is a great band an i still get chills when i seem them play at a gig....i should have him talk to you you'd have a lot in common :) man i wish i was like you and could really play it seems like so much fun

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
Since I was about 10 or 11. I never really got into it as much as playing the drums. I love playing the drums but I'm too damn old to start a band :p

I still mess around with my axe once in a while. My son Erick is interested in the guitar and has been practicing.

Here's mine

Attachments

• ibanez250.jpg
    ibanez250.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 78

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I started playing guitar when I was about 22, basically around 1989.
I had already grown up playing piano and had spent 6 yrs on drums at that point, my first guitar I bought was a yellow '73 Strat with a maple neck (U.S model) in Key West Fla.
Started with slide tunings like Open E and open G for some Stones and other blues stuff, since then I've owned many guitars including a re-issue Fender Duo-Sonic, a Gibson Les Paul, some no-name brands and some newer Strats including a nicen early 60's re-issue with a rosewood neck.
My playing is quite rusty lately as I've taken about a year "off" music, but hope to get a Tele soon which I will be playing daily.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online