Which 2000s bands/musicians will be considered legends in 20 years?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I am willing to be open minded about newer bands, many of them are very good. They just haven't had the time to be rated yet. Besides, even though I consider the late 60's and 70's to be the most creative time in rock music history, we are all a little guilty of giving the legendary artists too much praise, and withholding it from many newer bands that we don't think measure up. That is one thing younger music fans mention quite often, that us "Old timers" are stuck in the past exclusively, and I give them the nod on that issue seeing many of them Do like the older music as well. Of course there are one or two genres which I don't like at all, that are popular with many kids.;)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^I am willing to be open minded about newer bands, many of them are very good. They just haven't had the time to be rated yet. Besides, even though I consider the late 60's and 70's to be the most creative time in rock music history, we are all a little guilty of giving the legendary artists too much praise, and withholding it from many newer bands that we don't think measure up. That is one thing younger music fans mention quite often, that us "Old timers" are stuck in the past exclusively, and I give them the nod on that issue seeing many of them Do like the older music as well. Of course there are one or two genres which I don't like at all, that are popular with many kids.;)

Most epic LG quote ever! :grinthumb *High Five* :D

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

:clap: Very well said :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I am also going to have to quote this with much praise :bow:

kaientai

Reaction score
This newbie will throw a vote for......

The Mars Volta
My Morning Jacket
Calexico

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice to see some love for The Mars Volta.:D

F

FoxyPage

IMO, I don't personally see a lot, if any, newer bands become legendary/memorable like a lot of older bands. During times like Sabbath and Zeppelin, The Beatles and Elvis, music was evolving and bands were creating new sounds that led to new genres of music. That is why a lot of those bands are so well remembered. They revolutionized music.

When grunge started becoming mainstream, bands like Nirvana made their mark as important bands of that time. They helped push the genre and made an impact.

Even artists/bands like Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys (*shudder*) will be remembered because they brought back pop music and made it HUGE, starting a wave of boy and girl bands and other female pop singers. Of course, pop isn't new, but there weren't as many huge acts like there are now.

It feels like just about every kind of music possible has been made. There are so many genres/sub-genres and a lot of these artists and bands are cookie cutters. Unless a band comes along that makes a gigantic impact on music by bringing something new to the table, I can't picture any of these newer bands being remembered in 20 years.

If any bands/artists that are new DO happen to be remembered, it most likley wont be for the music. As big as those Jonas Brothers are, I can't name one song by them, I just know who they are and that young girls lose their minds over them and probably don't really care about the music, they just want the (ugly) brothers.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I look at it a little differently Foxy, Bach,,,Beethoven,,,Stravinsky,,,Williams their music is and in Williams case will be remembered well after their deaths. Considering the amount of classical music written the same argument could be made at anytime during the golden age of composer's. None of them knew we would be playing their music all these years later, but here we are, their contributions are intertwined in our culture now. Rock music is no different, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, during their primes I'll wager none of them stopped to think they would be immortalized either.

It's too early to tell, but I firmly believe some modern bands will be remembered for making music that lasted far beyond their time.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online