When does a song or album become a classic?

Blue Collar Man

Reaction score
I was having a conversation with a co-worker last week about classic rock. He's a little younger than myself and his idea of "classic rock" is a little different than mine. His idea of classic rock starts in the mid 90's and goes back from there. I personally don't consider anything from the 90's as classic rock. But that's JMO and to each his own.
So when does a tune or album become a classic to you? When does the classic rock era begin for you or does time really matter?

Last edited:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
60's & 70's plus works by bands that survived that musical era.

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Classic music isnt defined by how long ago it was made imo. its how well it was received by the general population, what the song was about, and the impact it had in real life. (we are the world actually did alot of good for people) just one kids thoughts on the subject, ive thought about it myself.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
This is a very subjective topic. I mean, I consider some music from some recent bands as classic already, but that's just my opinion.

I am on the way to middle age, so my perspective of this question could be drastically different than, say a 20 year old listener.

I'm not sure that this question can be readily answered Blue Collar Man. *shrug*

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Obviously the 50's through the 80's.

In my mind though, anything can be classic. For me it comes down to longevity and how important and valid a band or artist remains over time.

For newer artists today, we'll have to wait and see 15-20 years down the road if they will universally be "classic"

Any band or artist can be classic within' one's own mind though. That's always cool!!

:cheers2

Monterey

Reaction score
60s to 70s and maybe 80s. I get really frustrated when people consider 90s to be classic rock...

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
A lot of people consider 90s rock as classic. I'd say maybe only one or two bands from that time period really qualify though, one of them being Nirvana, who in reality have roots in the late 80s so by the general definition here I guess they are acceptable?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliebell

Staff online

Members online