What's the difference between punk rock and alternative rock?

Lucretia

Reaction score
I know that alternative rock incorporated several elements from old-fashioned punk rock but other than that I still don't see the difference between the two genres that much. Help clarify it for me, please.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Alternative rock musicians know more than 3 chords?

Sorry, below the belt. But alternative is less "stripped down" than punk rock. At least to me. But I'm not the best at distinguishing genres :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Punk rock was a wild rebellious style of music designed to express displeasure with the Status Quo, both in music and the world in general.

Alternative Rock...going to get in trouble for this but I think it is simply a "Tag" invented by smart record label executives to "Brand" a new form of music for a new generation to call their own. Seriously I see no earthshaking differences between Alternative Rock and the rock I have grown up with since the 60's. It's all about marketing to me.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Punk rock is basically off-key genre. Just to play loud, aggressive and at least month on an instrument. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^There were some good bands, The Clash, Tom Robinson Band, The Buzzcocks for instance that not only were among the best punk rock bands of their time, but solid musicians as well. But there were some pretty bad musicians who got together and just "punked out" too.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online