What was the 70's (in music)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Foxhound wrote:

CP/M User:

So into which of your categories would you fit these five major bands that started out in the sixties but segued seamlessly into the seventies?

Rolling Stones
Kinks
Doors
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull

:huh:

The Rolling Stones initally began as a R&B kind of group didn't they - but they progressed in the 60s from that to become a Rock Group (other groups which did that in the 60s were The Moody Blues, The Animals & The Yardbirds), so in the 70s they were still a Rock Group (one could argue Progressive - though I'm not sure they did progress like the way Pink Floyd Progressed).

So The Rolling Stones are in the category of

60s Rock Groups which remained Rock Groups in the 70s! :D

The Kinks is an interesting one cause they were more of a Pop Group in the 60s, personally I don't know a lot about 70s Kinks and only know a couple of songs, though a song like "Lola" sounds a bit harder to me suggesting it's possibly a Rock song.

The other thing to consider though about 70s music is when did Disco become the thing - it certainly wasn't in in 1970, so one has to consider what happened to groups when Disco replaced Pop as the Dominant form of music and how did bands take that. Rock itself didn't really change apart from Psychedelic music evolving into Progressive Rock or Metal - cause the thing to remember is not everyone likes Disco, and not everyone likes Rock or Heavier Rock.

So for a Band like the Doors I wouldn't imagine much change for them in that brief period they had in the 70s up until Jim's Death, but their last album came out in 1971 and I'm not sure much would have changed between that period and the music of the 60s.

Led Zeppelin basically Progressed their Rock from the kind of music The Yardbirds played and this was something happening towards the end of the 60s where a number of groups were going a little bit heavier thanks to guys like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page and groups like Deep Purple were also coming into play in the late 60s as well as groups like Steppenwolf - the progression into Heavier music emerged as a result of Psychedelic music. Status Quo another group which began in the 60s as a Psychedelic group progressed into something a bit heavier in the 70s.

I don't know a lot about Jethro Tull, though I'm guessing they played a brand of rock in the 60s, so perhaps they continued along that path in the 70s?

Another good example is to see what members of The Beatles did in the 70s. Essentually The Beatles began as a Pop-Beat group in the early 60s, though had progressed to soft-psychedelic towards the end of the 70s and when I listen to songs like "Let it Be" from 1970, it sounds more like Rock. John Lennon & Paul McCartney found success in the 70s by progressing their music more towards what the later Beatles had become as a Rock group rather than move back to that Pop-Beat they had in the early 60s cause they would have felt that music had progressed since that.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
A whole bunch really...my list would be too long and alot of good ones are already mentioned.

Almost anything from these fine shows!

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert
American Bandstand
Midnight Special

Never missed many!!

billtjr51

Reaction score
Alice Cooper had "The Show" performance. I saw him hung twice and beheaded once. I was 16 in 1971 and was leaning on the stage in Fayetteville NC the first time I saw him. Freaked me out. I hadn't seen anything like that at the time. I had seen Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc, but Cooper freaked me out the first time.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Certainly a lot looser, freer and expression was the name of the game.. Two Youth Club memories here that typify the early 1970s (for me) the wealth of different genres in the charts is a clear indication of how music stood in this decade
T. Rex - Ride A White Swan.
McGuinness Flint - When I'm Dead And Gone.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.