What was the 70's (in music)

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Didn't think about funk and R&B. Love the music but perhaps it's just not my personal favorite - like New Wave and Punk. Good points, though Rev. I loved Parliament/Funkadelic. Bootsie Collins rules! :grinthumb

MayQueen

Reaction score
How come nobody ever mentions The Sweet? I wouldn't consider them a top ten band of the seventies, but they had some mighty fine rockin' tunes. I guess they were more popular in Germany, sorta like the Scorpions.

MayQueen

Reaction score
Did they sample the Who's Baba O'Reilly near the beginning of the song: Lies in Your Eyes. (I think that was the one) It was an instrumental part, guitar or maybe bass.

70's is my favorite decade of music. Queen, Zeppelin, Cooper, and Styx! Wow!

eccentric man

Reaction score
something that always sticks out in my mind when i think of the 70s is this whole folky / country influence that spread through rock. maybe it's just lingering elements of the push towards a more natural method in everything by the hippies but it always annoyed me. it wasn't until all the 'unplugged' albums in the 90s that i started to realize that an acoustic guitar could be used for more than just folksy country crap.

deezee

Reaction score
Bruce Springsteen makes cover of "Time" as "Bob Dylan" of decade; although at the time he had only had one minor hit album: "Greetings From Asbury Park" & "Born To Run" from his second album release was minor hit; of course first major hit w/ his name on it, wouldn't even be released from him, but would be monster hit (& continuing staple at all Classic Rock stations) re-worked by Manfred Mann's Earth Band, in 1977, "Blinded By The Light"

sorry..... but since i opened the first bruce springsteen museum known to exist in 1978, i have to make a correction to the above. bruce's second album was "the wild, the innocent, and the e street shuffle". "born the run" was his 3rd album. but manfred mann did have hits with bruce's songs. the first one was with "spirit in the night" in 1975. bruce was so glad at the time that he had a hit song on the singles chart that to thank them he recorded their song "pretty flamingo". it was never released but he did it in concert all the time during the mid-70's.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
For me, rememberances of both Nature and Rock n' Roll;
Sittin' on the Grass with Flowers in our Hair,
Smelling sweet smells and diggin' the sweet sounds of The Guess Who, Brownsville Station, Led Zeppelin,Bad Company, ACDC,Elton John,Joni Mitchell,The Band, Jackson Browne, The Eagles,Jethro Tull and many, many others....
Swimming in The ocean,Running down the street, campfires at night...man, those were cool times!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
for me the 70's was music discovery period. I turned 10 years old in 1970 and found out what music is about sometime around 13 years old.

Disco was also a big part of the 70's for me.

another word and experience comes to mind for the 70's P.A.R.T.Y. :D

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
The way I see it in terms of what music was like in the 60s - Pop from the 60s transformed into Disco in the 70s or had a bit of a Disco Beat to them (e.g. The Hollies). Anyone who didn't want to go Disco went Rock (e.g. ELO & 10cc) - some Folk groups in the 60s were still Folk in a way in the 70s or others which had a Folk influence in them went to Country-Rock, Pschedelic groups of the 60s varied between Metal to Progressive Rock (e.g. Pink Floyd) and some Rock groups in the 60s either moved towards Metal in the 70s or remained Rock (e.g. The Who). Some things generally remained the same - e.g. Soul, R&B, Blues.

Let me know if I've made a mistake or have missed something. :wtf:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
CP/M User:

So into which of your categories would you fit these five major bands that started out in the sixties but segued seamlessly into the seventies?

Rolling Stones
Kinks
Doors
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull

:huh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member