What was Lennon thinking?

ANF

Reaction score
I know a lot of people say he was not a good father because of Julian, but when you listen to a song like "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" it's kinda hard to say that because you hear the love of a doting dad throughout that song. And from what I've heard, he did spend more time with Julian in his latter years. You have to remember that he was at the height of Beatlemania when Julian was a kid and he was seeing the world, by the time he had Sean he was more mature and mellow and a better father for that. My oldest brother had a quickie "because she's pregnant" marriage and was just 20 when his eldest son was born. They divorced not long after and he ended up moving because of work and he didn't spend nearly the amount of time with his son and he wished he would've.... then came the second (and current) wife and then he had a daughter and another son and with those he watched them grow up and was a responsible loving protective father the way you expect dad's to be. The difference? He was nearly 30 when the other kids came, he was mature and ready to be a dad while the first son was the product of him being too stupid to use a rubber with his girlfriend as a 19 year old.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
I know a lot of people say he was not a good father because of Julian, but when you listen to a song like "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" it's kinda hard to say that because you hear the love of a doting dad throughout that song. And from what I've heard, he did spend more time with Julian in his latter years. You have to remember that he was at the height of Beatlemania when Julian was a kid and he was seeing the world, by the time he had Sean he was more mature and mellow and a better father for that. My oldest brother had a quickie "because she's pregnant" marriage and was just 20 when his eldest son was born. They divorced not long after and he ended up moving because of work and he didn't spend nearly the amount of time with his son and he wished he would've.... then came the second (and current) wife and then he had a daughter and another son and with those he watched them grow up and was a responsible loving protective father the way you expect dad's to be. The difference? He was nearly 30 when the other kids came, he was mature and ready to be a dad while the first son was the product of him being too stupid to use a rubber with his girlfriend as a 19 year old.

Completely true:cheers2

The biggest saddness imo ,of John's murder..is he didn't get to fix alot of wrongs.

He was very young when he got Cynthia pregnant..he had no father figure to go by as.his own father Freddie Lennon abandoned John at 5 years old..he lived with his Aunt Mimi and her husband George Smith but his own mum had started a new family with Her new Boyfriend and was more of a sister then a mother...

fame hit John very early..he had little skills in relationships in general..and he was away from his young wife and child for months (Cynthia even gave birth to Julian ,while the fab were on tour) And in those days Cynthia was hid away from John ..the world ...because it was considered bad press/and negative to the sex appeal of The Beatles fans :rolleyes::wtf:

out of sight out of mind
soon he began to think of Cynthia and Julian as a drag..she was a proper English girl ..no partying ...no late night bar hopping etc..she was home minding Julian..

John cared about his family but he didn't know them..his life was going in a total different direction..

by the time he met Yoko Ono he wasn't looking for the girl next door type..he was looking for someone to excite his mind and push his creativity..

he WAS more mature..he starting realizing things for more important then The Beatles..he was growing up..

when he had his new family..he was READY to be a father..he still had issues but he was willing to try this time around.

I always believed John loved Julian, but he was afraid of him. He reminded him.of his own fatherless childhood and intense guilt prevented him from alot ..distance and Yoko's controlling also hurt.

thanks to May Pang, John's gf during his break with Yoko..he spent alot of time with Julian as a young preteen. Buying him a guitar and teaching him to play etc..

I believe John was set to go back to Liverpool and Scotland to visit his family around the time of his death, His step-sister Julia Baird claims he was to go to a family reunion in the spring..he was looking forward to it :uh:

as far as Paul and the others..i believe in time that they would have become friendly again..John never wanted to be enemies..things were angry at the end of The Beatles..like a divorce as he once described it..and time would have healed alot..as everyone got older and mellower..but we'll never know ..thanks to Mark David Chapman :uh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
but did they ever get back together ?
I remember a story of Paul going to see him and Yoko
with his guitar........ and John did nt let him in the house.

As a matter of fact they did sort things out. I read the same story in Rolling Stone back in the day, Paul showed up when John was in the middle of doing domestics/chores and Paul arrived on his doorstep unannounced.

After that John did talk to Paul and they were on good terms. If someone you have a history with shows up when you are busy, and unprepared like that I can understand why John was not ready to spend time talking.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
As a matter of fact they did sort things out. I read the same story in Rolling Stone back in the day, Paul showed up when John was in the middle of doing domestics/chores and Paul arrived on his doorstep unannounced.

After that John did talk to Paul and they were on good terms. If someone you have a history with shows up when you are busy, and unprepared like that I can understand why John was not ready to spend time talking.

Yes ,that day was wayy overblown by the media. Paul was a bit snide about it at the time..the press wanting to beef up the story let it get more spicey..but Paul showed up with Linda..'let's jam John?" and John was kinda like 'Erm, NOT a good day Paulie' simple..nothing really sinster..but Paul was bitter cos he felt blown off at the time...

John was one of those people who doesn't like it when people just 'stop over' it wasn't personal..
I am like that too ? He just said 'Hey just call first' ...

Now shortly after that Paul DID call him and they were ok with each other..the press of course NEVER mention this..Paul has explained it several times since..and even when anthology was made..getting the tapes offically from Yoko..THAT was supposed to be a public show of' We're ALL ok with each other'

People just like to re-hash gossip and drama ..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I knew you'd show up and set the record straight Astrid.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Thanks Astrid, but I will always defer/count on you to clarify any of these kind of stories concerning the Beatles.:grinthumb

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
On that note you're probably right. I know Paul and George Martin didn't want it. I think I like it cause I was sooo freaked out by it as a kid, as well as The White Album as a whole.

You too? That "song" used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid. I kind of dig it now, though. Name any other popular group that would not only put a track like that on an album, but get away with it. Three albums worth is more that a bit much. Love and heroin make a man do strange things.:omg:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online