Register to remove these ads

What Music DVD Are You Watching

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by METALPRIEST, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. jackory

jackory The NEW King of Pop

My son is the biggest 15 year old Beatles fan of all time, and so in rounding out his total "Beatles experience", positive and negative, we watched "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band' last night. I think I've seen it twice before. Once in the theater when it was originally released in the mid seventies, then again when VHS videos were released on the market. I was probably as old as my son is now when I saw it the first time, and DEFINITELY every bit the Beatles fan he is now. But even though I felt cheated and robbed of 2 hours I could have more productively spent tying to talk older kids into buying beer for me, I can't say that I hated the movie then as much as he did last night. It has not aged well. That the audio and visual quality were enhanced by the DVD format was NOT a good thing. It was a convoluted mess, tossing songs into the mix with no other purpose than to fill time. or using songs within contexts which are completely out of line with their original meaning. For the sake, I'm sure, of cramming as many Lennon-McCartney compositions as possible into 90 minutes. I'm sure producer (mega-successful executive producer Robert Stigwood responsible for the iconic "Saturday Night Fever") had good intentions. It's not as if the bare outline of the project didn't sound very interesting, It would have done very well if the psychedelic aspects had been more hippie-freakout and less Peter Max poster art. No, I won't say that, either, out of respect for Peter Max.The visuals in Sgt Pepper stand in a class of their own. You can't compare them without insulting the one being compared to.

It's sad that Sir George Martin was behind the music production in Sgt Pepper. What the fockityfockfock was he thinking? Obviously he's goot a good ear, but apparently he can't smell a rat (or a rat turd) right under his nose. I felt compelled tell my son that the actual Beatles distanced themselves as far as they could from this smelly garbage. He was pleased about that.

For some reason he's much softer on "Across the Universe." I don't know that he liked it or not, but I'm sure he'd watch it again. And okay, I have to grudgingly admit that I don't despise it as much as I do Sgt Pepper. Thie may or may not be the result of Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees dragging Pepper down so easily. "Across the Universe" has it's own set of dimly bizarre characters thrown into the mix...a drug and boozed blues rock singer upset about her appearance and inability to hook up with real love because she percieves herself to be very ugly...and who might that have been? Janis Joplin, maybe? Where did she come from? Then there's the actor/ guitarist who doesn't even try to be anyone other that Jimi Hendrix. Just characters, I knowl But I found their placement in the film to be unnecessary.

Of course I'd need to watch Across the Universe again to get enough of a feel for it to write more about it.And that ain't something I'm willing to.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. METALPRIEST

[​IMG]

4. METALPRIEST

[​IMG]

5. METALPRIEST

[​IMG]

6. METALPRIEST

[​IMG]

7. METALPRIEST

[​IMG]

8. METALPRIEST

[​IMG]

:cheers2 :grinthumb

9. BeatlesFan

BeatlesFan Senior Member

I'm currently watching Classic Albums: John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band right now...

[​IMG]

10. Craig in Indy

Craig in Indy Your cool Uncle

Mayer's "Where the Light Is," pretty much just for the blues trio section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.