What is.........Industrial metal

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Industrial metal is a type of musical genre that draws from Industrial music and various types of heavy metal . Musically often using repeating guitar riffs,sampling,synthesiser/sequencer, and more than often distorted vocals.
Acts that come to mind include MINISTRY , NINE INCH NAILS ,KMFDM, GODFLESH......even WHITE ZOMBIE,MARILYN MANSON,FEAR FACTORY have used this style at times

MINISTRY Founded 1981 by AL JOURGENSEN. .Originally more of a synth based outfit who became more experimental.but by the late 80s had started to bring a "heavy metal" edge to their music. They found success in the early 90s with the "Psalm 69" album [ Probably the greatest album of this genre IMO :cheers2]
MINISTRY made a few albums but split in 2008 , only to reform again in 2011. A brand new album "Relapse" is set for release soon

These tracks are legendary :bow::guitar:

Attachments

• 127325.jpg
    127325.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 89
  • album-keianh-psalm-69.jpg
    album-keianh-psalm-69.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 88

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I know where your coming from EF .....Industrial metal isnt for everyones tastes. In the late 80s early 90s.....lots of my friends who were into this music borrowed me tapes/albums etc...we even had a goth/industrial night in our home town. Some songs/bands made a big impression.....and MINISTRY to me are the kings of the INDUSTRIAL METAL genre .........while on the other hand some songs by other bands were hard to listen too...basically noise giving you a headache . Ouch !
Where did INDUSTRIAL music come from ? Early pioneers Throbbing Gristle , S.P.K, Einsturzende Neubaten , D.A.F .early Cabaret Voltaire......who were more from the experimental synth /industrial era. You could even say early SWANS with their uncompromising "No wave " sound......but to me the debut KILLING JOKE album in the 70s with its gothic/new wave sound was a big influence.

Getting back to MINISTRY .......Al Jourgensen did many a side project.........PIGFACE,PAILHEAD,REVOLTING COCKS [ REVCO ] etc and also did a superb cover of Black Sabbaths " Supernaut ".....with Trent Reznor as 1000 HOMO DJs :grinthumb . One for the dancefloor !!

Theres also a version with Trent Reznor on vocals....

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I never got fully into industrial metal from the performance end of things BUT our drummer, second drummer in Gynger Lynn, Luke had went on to play for a Chicago Industrial Metal band called Maintenance Of Order.

This is not a shameless plug for the band or him or anything like that. This thread made me think of them. He's also no longer in the band. In fact his new band now is neither of those band's previous or present styles.

Pretty fun to have an opportunity to show at least a clip of these guys. I've spoken with a couple close friends here on the forum, on how musicians(pro thinking musicians) can adapt to pretty much any surrounding due to having an open mind.

This is a great example of such a thing. Sort of a complete opposite to the more melodic pop sounds of Gynger Lynn he was used to performing there for awhile. But he did good with these cats.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Thanks for that MP :cheers2 MAINTENENCE OF ORDER sound cool to me , infact I checked out some of their work on you tube and was impressed. I would say very N.I.N influences but keeping a "heavy" guitar sound.....these influences can still be heard even today in artists like Gary Numan, Combichrist etc . The drummer does a fine job as often in this style of music hes keeping in time with clicktracks,sequencers,backing tracks ,over drum machines etc :grinthumb

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah he's a great drummer...very well rounded artistically. Funny enough though...he's really into natural blues, folk,...Roger McQuinn stuff and all that. :heheh:

But if he likes the people he's playing with he can get into it.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
KMFDM.............Originally from Germany, based round frontman Sascha Konietzko ,formed in 1984. Musically took similar path to MINISTRY adding heavier guitar sounds to their music . They have been popular in the US selling over 2 million records over there alone. Various line up changes over the years....and at one point featured Tim Skold [ ex Shotgun Messiah ...and Marilyn Manson] . KMFDM have done 17 studio albums [ i have...er only one ] A mention to Aiden "Brute!" Hughes who has done the impressive artwork to most of their releases

Attachments

• KMFDM-WhatDoYouKnowDeuts11207_f.jpg
    KMFDM-WhatDoYouKnowDeuts11207_f.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 75
  • kmfdm_home.jpg
    kmfdm_home.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 75
  • KMFDM_-_Drug_Against_War.jpg
    KMFDM_-_Drug_Against_War.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
:grinthumb Agreed MP !! Thats a stormer of a track . Im not going to dwell on NINE INCH NAILS too much as Soot and the Stars already has an excellent thread about them, but yes NINE INCH NAILS were the band that brought this music to the general public. They made a HUGE impact.......with this song alone !!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online