What is.....Gothic Metal

Cinder

Reaction score
Thanks for posting some Tiamat B.O.B, not heard of them before. I think their changable tracks. Although the first one I listen to just thought it they were going to be a Sisters rip off lol.

Yes Like, Love like Blood also and Scream Silence, thought the last Scream Silence album was brill.

Cant believe how busy the forum is now with all kinds of different genres of music.

I heard even Rick Astley has had a mention (not impressed with that one lol), he gets every where. Certainly doesnt belong here lol :D

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Two great up and coming Gothic Rock bands from........South Africa !!

THE AWAKENING .....Hailing from Johannesburg,formed 1995 ...this band have become very successful in their homeland with headline festival gigs etc. Now moved to the U.S . THE AWAKENING are fronted by Ashton Nyte who has a real dynamic voice not unlike the late Pete Steele [TYPE O NEGATIVE] at times. Checking out their material over the years their style has been very impressive.
I bought one of their cds the other year thinking they were new to the Gothic scene...only to recently find out they have done 8 albums !!
Look out for them !!

Risen 1997
Request 98
Ethereal menace 99
The fourth seal of zean 2000
Roadside heretics 2001
Darker than silence 2004
Razor burn 2006
Tales of absolution and obseletion 2009

ANKST .......are generating interest over here in the U.K and are one of the current favorites on Radio Nightbreed. They are making fine progress , I am hoping they come over to play here"live" soon. ANKST show Fields of the nephilim / Garden of Delight influences

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE NEFILIM [ THE FIELDS OF NEPHILIM ]

When singer Carl McCoy fell out with the members of FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM over the musical direction of the band , he briefly formed THE NEFILIM who made one album "Zoon " in 1996 .It was a brave move at the time ,away from the rich gothic mesmerising soundscapes of the earlier Fields of the Nephilim material. The sound was a darker ,heavier sound with elements of death/thrash/industrial. Of course this album had mixed reviews....some Gothic diehards were truly horrified while others like myself were more open minded. I recall seeing the band on the "Zoon" tour and was amused to see the reaction. Goths didnt headbang :heheh:
McCoy has had his fair share of problems over the years , and revamped THE FIELDS OF NEPHILIM moniker again with the "Mourning sun" album and started touring again :cheers2

fieldsofthenephilim2005dark.jpg

Last edited:

Cinder

Reaction score
I love Fields of The Nephilim Lou, one of my favourite Fields track is Moonchild for various reasons one being it reminds me of my star sign (see if you can figure that one out lol). There are so many other good tracks though, like Trees come down, Laura, Last Exit for the Lost. I could go on and on and on. Id recommend listeners to pick an album up :D

They still sound as good today as they did in their heyday!

Also big :grinthumb to Scream Silence, I quite like Dream Disciples also.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
SIRENIA.................Hailing from Stavenger Norway SIRENIA are a band based round former TRISTANIA musician MORTEN VELAND .
Their symphonic metal has many gothic elements and are pretty outstanding in their genre.:grinthumb Luck it seems hasnt always been with them......they have gone through various line up changes especially female vocalists !
In 2007 Monika Petersen quit the band causing them to pull out of a european tour with THERION . They replaced her with current singer AILYN who strangely enough was a contestant in a Spanish X Factor T.V show .

Line up Morten Veland [ guitars/vocals/keyboards/bass /production etc]
Ailyn [ female vocals ]
Jon Perez [drums]

SIRENIA DISCOGRAPHY

All sixes and sevens 2002
An elexir for existence 2004
Nine destinies and a downfall 2007
The 13th floor 2009
The enigma of life 2011

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
VIRGIN BLACK ..........Formed 1995 in Adelaide Australia .VIRGIN BLACK are making good progress and are starting to make a name for themselves . Their music is very solemn gothic/doom with black and symphonic influences.It would be easy to compare them with a band they admit to them is a big influence MY DYING BRIDE......but they do have their own style. Excellent. Check them out

Discography

Sombre Romantic.....2001
Elegant....and dying.....2003
Requiem....mezzo forte 2007
Requiem....fortissimo ..2008

BLACKTHORN ......Im afraid I dont know much about this band except they are an all girl band from Russia.....sound promising

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
LORD OF THE LOST.........Still fairly new to the Gothic metal scene but already making a good impression. 2 fair albums and various appearances at festivals in their homeland Germany. I was lucky to see LORD OF THE LOST play the MERA LUNA festival a couple of years ago....they were the opening act and I was impressed. :grinthumb
Last words/ dry the rain

Undead or alive /break your heart

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
CREAMING JESUS.........A 90s band with attitude ! Their pioneering music was a mixture of Gothic rock/punk/industrial and thrash metal. Excellent "Live" I can vouch for that...:grinthumb with the added sound of a band with 2 drummers ! Strangely enough they hated the goth tag....and recorded "punk parodies" to songs by The Sisters of Mercy and The Cure
Made an outstanding album in "Guilt by association"....but soon lost their way and some of their followers with a change of direction in music lacking the aggression and impact of the bands earlier releases. Split up soon after

Discography Albums .....[ also made numerous 12 inch eps ]

Too fat to run,too stupid to hide 1990
Guilt by association 1992
Chaos for the converted 1994
End of an error 1994

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
THE NEFILIM [ THE FIELDS OF NEPHILIM ]

When singer Carl McCoy fell out with the members of FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM over the musical direction of the band , he briefly formed THE NEFILIM who made one album "Zoon " in 1996 .It was a brave move at the time ,away from the rich gothic mesmerising soundscapes of the earlier Fields of the Nephilim material. The sound was a darker ,heavier sound with elements of death/thrash/industrial. Of course this album had mixed reviews....some Gothic diehards were truly horrified while others like myself were more open minded. I recall seeing the band on the "Zoon" tour and was amused to see the reaction. Goths didnt headbang :heheh:
McCoy has had his fair share of problems over the years , and revamped THE FIELDS OF NEPHILIM moniker again with the "Mourning sun" album and started touring again :cheers2

Lou/Realm Fields Of The Nephilim/Anathema/Paradise Lost & My Dying Bride are four personnel fav`s of gothic rock bands yesssssssssssssssss!!!!

Beady Eye

Reaction score
I love the first two Theatre of Tragedy albums. "Velvet Darkness They Fear" is a perfect album from start to finish, one that feels like every composition is purposely put in its place. Wonderful all-time great album.
"Aegis" marked the beginning of the end. When I saw the first music video of that album, I couldn't believe my eyes. I completely blame the change in direction on Liv Kristine Espenaes who was fired way too late. I mean, how can it take two more albums like this crap and two steps further into pop music before you realize that she ruined the band??
She was truly angelical though which is probably why the guys just followed her lead blindly, can't blame them.

My favourite song:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online