What is.....Gothic Metal

b.o.b.

Reaction score
Alternative 4 is splendid. My favorite Anathema albums are the ones that I already posted: Silent Enigma, Eternity, Alternative 4 and Judgement. After 2000 they had a major change in their music to an alternative more experimental Radiohead style.

A Fine Day to Exit 2001

cover_49721392009.jpg

A Natural Disaster 2003

cover_8521392009.jpg

We're Here Because We're Here 2010

anathema_album_2.jpg

I saw them live twice in 2007 and this summer at Sonisphere Fest:

Anathema - Kashmir :D live

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OOOoooo! I really like Anathema. I have their 2010 release, We're Here Because We're Here.......and now I am going to complete the discography. I love the melancholy ambience of the 2010 album. Haven't had time to give it a really good evaluation, but the first spin was impressive :)

b.o.b.

Reaction score
lake-of-tears-band-logo.jpg

Lake of Tears is a Swedish band, generally considered to play gothic metal and doom metal. However, their sound has evolved considerably over the course of their career, expanding to include psychedelic rock and progressive metal.

Current line-up:

Daniel Brennare - Vocals, Guitar (1992-)
Fredrik Jordanius - Guitar (2009-)
Mikael Larsson - Bass (1992-)
Johan Oudhuis - Drums (1992-)

Discography:

Greater Art (1994)
Headstones (1995)
A Crimson Cosmos (1997)
Forever Autumn (1999)
The Neonai (2002)
Black Brick Road (2004)
Moons and Mushrooms (2007)

Highly recommended albums:

Headstones (1995)
IMG_0836.jpeg

A Crimson Cosmos (1997)
6499.jpg

Forever Autumn (1999)
7074.jpg

Moons and Mushrooms (2007)
1408.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
LAKE OF TEARS sound good b.o.b ,they remind me of PARADISE LOST ...i like their style
When you mention "Gothic metal" you cant help mentioning certain bands from FINLAND, even if some of these bands became commercial Gothic pin up bands . H.I.M became successful,I didnt take to RASMUS much...then there was the impressive 69 EYES, CHARON, TO/DIE/FOR ,ENTWINE , FOR MY PAIN etc etc
One of the early bands from this country to make an impression in this field of music...though they have dabbled in various forms of metal was SENTENCED.After the split singer Ville Laihiala formed a new band......

POISONBLACK

POISONBLACK Discography

Escapextasy......2003
Lust stained despair.....2006
A Dead heavy day......2008
Of rust and bones....2010

POISONBLACKs earlier releases have more the "gothic" feel to them, their latest material has more of a nu-metal guitar edge .Still a good band to check out.....:grinthumbpoison.jpgYFUFUT.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
We all know of LACUNA COIL but ITALY brings us some more fine bands

ARTICA Formed Rome 1989

just 3 excellent albums so far

Ombre e Luce 95
Nocturna 97
Plastic terror 2006

THEATRE DES VAMPIRES........made numerous albums,well known in the gothic vampire scene.Sonya Scarlet has taken over lead vocals of late.Im fortunate to have been on the same bill as this band with THE REALM when they headlined the Vampiria festival in London many years ago,they put on a good "live"show

MADRE DEL VIZIO........Regarded as a deathrock band.Made a few early CHRISTIAN DEATH inspired albums in the 90s .Recently reformed to play the Dropdead festival in Portugal.

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THERION........I dont want to get in trouble with symphonic metal purists but THERION have a massive gothic influence !!:grinthumb This Swedish band have been around a long time [20 years] and released numerous albums.Therions early material was death metal but even then they were experimental in their style using choirs. It wasnt until they signed with label Nuclear Blast that people started to really notice them and THERIONs big plans of orchestration/choirs started to pay off ![Think big..be big .Impressive "live" shows ,artwork etc]
Lots of line up changes over the years ,with founder member Christofer Johnsson remaining,though he concentrates on guitar nowadays. I love their gothic style with various operatic female singers and besides any band that covers Scorpions and Manowar songs have got to be worth a shout .....

therion.jpgimagesCAVDPHM0.jpg

Last edited:

b.o.b.

Reaction score
Therion is a great band. I have been listening to them since Lepaca Kliffoth (1995). My favorite albums are Vovin(1998) and Theli(1996). I also have on cd Lemuria & Sirius B (2004). I could not find enough time to listen their last album Sithra Ahra.

b.o.b.

Reaction score
L’âme Immortelle (French: the immortal soul) is an Austrian band that produces darkwave, and more recently also industrial metal.

Many of L’âme Immortelle’s songs feature melancholy or lovelorn lyrics in German or English, and juxtaposed harsh male and emotional female vocals. Current work has moved away from the band’s electronic roots into the neue deutsche härte (New German hardness) genre.

Lme+Immortelle.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
CHARON......Formed 92.Originally a death metal band...now a successful but commercial gothic metal act,reaching no 1 in their own country Finland with "in trust no one ".
Discography

Sorrowburn 1998
Tearstained 2000
Downhearted 2001
The dying daylights 2003
Songs for the sinners 2005

ENTWINE

Discography

Gone 2001
Time of despair 2002
Dieversity 2004
Fatal design 2006
Painstained 2009

FOR MY PAIN......are more of a project band featuring members from bands ...Reflexion,Charon.Nightwish and Eternal tears of sorrow....only one album release as yet

Fallen 2003

TO /DIE /FOR ......more Finnish commercial gothic metal .Seems a lot of these bands have similar set styles. All very nicely polished and produced following H.I.M s initial success in this music genre .Am i being too critical in these bands being a bit too samey ??.....Saying that I can see Cinder liking some of these bands :D

Discography

All eternity 1999
Epilogue 2001
Jaded 2003
1V 2005
Wounds wide open 2006

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THERION, LAKE OF TEARS......lots of good bands coming from Sweden....and heres 2 more..

DRACONIAN.......Obvious early Paradise Lost gothic /doom influences,DRACONIAN are working on their 5th album to be released this year 2011.Quality stuff,:grinthumb....the vocals of Lisa Johansen are outstanding. More albums to buy....

Discography

Where lovers mourn 2003
Arcane rain fell 2005
The burning halo [ compilation album 2006 ]
Turning season with 2008

MALAISE........These guys have been round for a while .Musically their style can sound like LOVE LIKE BLOOD but with Darkwave influences . Ofcourse I love this band and I was fortunate to support them with THE REALM at a gig in Leeds Uk several years ago. Ive also managed to get their cds.The album" 52 ways" is a must !!!:bow:

Discography

Malaise
Fifty Two ways 1996
A world of broken images 1999
Re-assimilated 2003
Hypnotised by forgotten lies 2005

Discography

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member