What is.......Doom Metal

F

FoxyPage

Next up in the 'what is....' series....

DOOM METAL

What is it?​

Doom metal is a form of heavy metal music. It consists of low tuned guitars and slower tempos, with a rather heavy sound. As the name of the genre suggests, the lyrical content usually revolves around despair, suffering, depression, anger, doom and dread. Black Sabbath are credited with influencing the genre, while American and English bands actually got the genre up on it's feet in the 1980's. Most of the vocals are clean, though other types of doom (which I will get into) consist of screaming, shouting, shrieks or growls.

Some examples of doom metal bands:

There are many different types of doom metal:

Funeral doom is the fusion of death metal, doom metal and dark ambient, with keyboards/synthesizers, slow tempo, depressing lyrical content, and heavily distorted electric guitars. Some examples of funeral doom bands:

Death/doom (taken from my what is...death metal thread) is basically doom metal's slow tempos and melancholic atmosphere with the elements of death metal. Some examples of death/doom bands:

Stoner doom/stoner metal/psychedelic doom has a very heavy bass and guitar/bass effects are often used. This is personally my favourite type of doom metal. Some examples of stoner/psychedelic doom bands:

Drone doom consists of repeated chords/notes throughout the song with growled/screamed vocals, though vocals are not always included. Some examples of drone doom bands:

Traditional doom consists of low notes and the music is a little faster. The vocals are mostly clean and the music is heavy, while the lyrics are dark and eerie. Some examples of traditional doom bands:

Sludge doom is the fusion of doom metal, hardcore punk and Southern rock. Like most doom, the songs are slow and heavy. Lyrical content usually revolves around drug abuse, suffering, anger towards society and politics. Vocals are shouted or screamed. Some examples of sludge doom bands:

Black doom/blackened doom metal is black metal and doom metal together, with the vocals usually shrieks, like in black metal, combined with the slow, heavy sound of doom metal. Some examples of black doom bands:

Epic doom has clean, even 'opera-like', vocals with lyrics revolving around mythology/fantasy. Some examples of epic doom bands:

Last edited by a moderator:

rockgoddess1968

Reaction score
Re: What is.....Doom Metal?

Candlemass are one of my favourite doom metal bands, I'll be checking out some of the other bands you've mentioned too.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OK...educate me.

What is Drone metal?

Amirlan

~Amirlan~
Reaction score
Typically, the electric guitar is performed with large amounts of reverb and feedback while vocals, if present, are usually growled or screamed. Songs are often very long and lack beat or rhythm in the traditional sense. Drone doom is generally influenced by drone music, noise music and minimalist music.[11] The style emerged in the early 1990s and was pioneered by Earth, Boris and Sunn O))) [i love this band].

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Videos?

I have looked up Earth. Not too bad since they are mostly instrumental. The music is extremely deep and dark.

Amirlan

~Amirlan~
Reaction score
yep.........deep,dark............ its ma lifestyle music kikiki....(^_^)

1 day i listened funeral doom........it`s very hard and my heads inside my heart...[boomboomboomb] someone knock knock in my head and eat my heart...arrrr

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess that is one way to describe the sound

boom boom boom...that you feel on your insides

:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads