Register to remove these ads

What Do You Think is Missing from Country Today?

Discussion in 'Country Music' started by bstiles, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Beady Eye

Beady Eye Senior Member

Josh Turner has a distinctive voice, but unfortunately he's aspiring to become Taylor Swift 2.0. His best work is the concert with Randy Travis.

#Nelson
    Doesn't he have one of the weakest, most annoying voices in all of country music?

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Metal Militia Staff Member

Agreed on Musgraves she is one of the few current Country artists I can listen to.

3. Vader

Vader Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars

Hank III and a handful.of others are delivering the goods but for the most part new country is a bunch of glittery pop country SHIT.

OldHippie likes this.
  4. Sharp Dressed Man

Sharp Dressed Man Down South Jukin' Staff Member

Nothing is missing from country these days. Sure, if you go by the radio or CMT, things have certainly changed and country today seems crap, but the reality is, just like in any genre, that it just takes an effort to find the good among all the bad.

OldHippie likes this.
  5. recgord27

recgord27 Walking down a dusty road

O Brother, Where Art Thou also changed my view of country music. Because of it, I am far more open to country and blue-grass music.

As to what is missing from today's country music, it's exactly the same as with all the non-mainstream/pop music genres. The corporates are only interested in making a buck and only record what the taste-makers recommend. It's not a surprise that "old" music now out-sells "new" music.

6. CurtRHCP

CurtRHCP Senior Member

I don't know, because bands/artists I use to listen are from the 60's-70's and nowadays artists I like sound like the 60's-70's (Sturgill Simpson, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers, Larry & His Flask, ...)

I like real country, the one like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, etc.
    I also like bluegrass like Larry & His Flask mentioned above.
    I like authenticity, a thing you'll never find with everything related to "Pop" music.

By the way, I think, pretty soon people will get enough of pop.
    I live in Europe (I'm half US) and I hate my European generation, I think most American (even young people) are still listening to traditional country music and know their classics.
    I hope I'm not wrong ^^ (I hate DJ music (eg : David Guetta)... It's basically what you hear when you go out in my country and that suck, boom bim bang and no instrument, it's not music in my opinion)

7. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

the VAST majority of country music in the past 20-25 years has been shit. A few decent artists / songs / albums in that time, but they are far and few between. Most country music in the past 15 years is NOTHING more than Top 40 pop music with blue jeans and a country twang to it.

What's missing? Soul? Feeling? True-blue country/western roots? Real-life experience in and around the roots of where country used to be. I don't believe you need to grow on up a farm or a ranch, but wanna-be pop star failures that trade in their auto-tune microphones for tassles and cowboy hats don't know diddly shit about country, which is the biggest reason that it sucks.

Soot and Stars likes this.
  8. OldHippie

OldHippie Resident Yooper

This guy nailed it.