What Do You Consider A "Long" Song?

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I heard from someone on last.fm about a song that went for 40 hours straight, apparently it took them over a week to listen to it in it's entirety :heheh:

For my taste though, there really is no limit. The longest song in my collection is 1 hour 12 minutes, but it's split over 12 seperate tracks. The longest single track is 31 minutes and both are done by Transatlantic :D If classical music could hold my attention as well as prog does, I don't think I'd have a problem listening to 10 hours of it.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
Mr. Shadow said:
Back in the days of vinyl a song per side was long.
Yes like Jethro Tulls THICK AS A BRICK song!!!!!!! (Quite good isnt it?)

"I think ill sit this one out............."

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Depends on the genre.

5 & 1/2 minutes is long if it's a pop song. For rock, 6 & 1/2 minutes is about the bare minimum I require before I can consider something a "jam" (although scarce exceptions can be issued, mainly for instrumentals).

If we're talking jams and epics, 10 is about where I expect it to be, anything approaching 15 would be considered medium and then anything above that would be "long" to me.

If we're talking noise and experimental music that tends to err on the long side in general so when I find a 10 minute track I consider that short.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online