What are YOUR profound losses

Baz

Reaction score
youtube.com has a couple of videos of Laura Nyro, and the chills go up the spine hearing the power of her voice against the piano.

But you guys are hitting the button on the thread. There are so many we have lost.......and my initial comments were not to make comparisons as to who was more of a loss than another......it was indeed whose loss meant the most to you..........I liked Hendrix, but was not a big fan; his loss was symbolically staggering as it came in that triad of Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison.....

but as artists who touched that part of me that distinguishes my life from yours and yours from mine, Carl Wilson (catch the video of his singing God Only Knows live) and Laura I still yearn for......and Harry Nilsson, down so long and he was making it back and bam, gone.......and Jim Croce, getting better with each album, a folk singer, folk/rock, who was an everyman....

I have friends who are part of World Hunger Year, the organization Harry Chapin started..........I was not a big fan of Harry's music; but how he used his music and his commitment to eliminating world hunger made his loss a tragic occurrence outside the music world. One of those friends, director of Hungerthon, the series of concerts and auctions held to raise money for WHY, was equally if not more impacted by the loss of his brother, Jim Chapin, one of the few Chapins NOT a musician.....but a brilliant, nay, genius of a man and golden as a person.

When we lose someone, it is often comfortable to push them aside, as the pain is hard to bear.......hopefully we reach a point where we can get real close, esp. in this era with its technology, that we can 'allow' Harry, and Laura, and Sinatra, and Carl, to remain alive.......even if it means bringing back some tears.

Baz

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
John Lennon being shot was major, I was 20 at the time, but wasn't a Beatles nut... but the sheer waste of life to such a prominent and classic artist was truly tragic. John Bonham was. I knew that Zep would call it a day. Funnily enough David Bowie and Rory Gallagher left a lasting sense of grief. The guys from Heep going made me feel old, as well as vulnerable. The recent passing of Charlie Watts makes me feel the world is less of a place without him.... and the Stones should throw in the towel . Every loss of a great musician slowly chips away the foundation of the music rock I know.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online