1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by electric funeral, Apr 30, 2010.

1. flipflop

flipflop Prisoner of rock'n'roll

Just finished re-reading this one:

[​IMG]

Starting this one now - have been wanting to read it for years and years:

[​IMG]

2. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

Really enjoy thisand others by Traci Harding
    [​IMG]

3. aeroplane

aeroplane In Urgent Need of Advice

I like sports books, thus I am reading.....

-Juicing the Game by Howard Bryant (a book about steroids in Major League Baseball from around 2006)

-Third and a Mile by William Rhoden (a 2006 book about the history of black quarterbacks in the NFL)

4. b.o.b.

b.o.b. Senior Member

Youssef Ziedan-Azazeel

"Compared with both "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown and "Name the Rose" by Umberto Eco this book sparked complex reactions: on the one hand it was praised in the literary point of view, on the other hand, regarded as an instrument of attack against the eastern Christian churches"
    A Muslim author about the violent beginnings of Christianity. :think:

5. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

Hmmmmm :think:
    There are some Christianity issues in The Gene of Isis, whilst not as big as the ones you described. I, as a Christian, find it hard to accept the story and often have to tell myself that its part of the story xD

6. Sunny

Sunny Settled down at last and very happy.

The Untrained Environmentalist by John Fenton

John Fenton is an Australian grazier who over many years has brought his barren, windswept and environmentally all but dead property back to life by planting trees, reinstating wetlands and also by creating wildlife reserves :grinthumb

7. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

haha, I looked at your profile pic and thought it was the book cover

8. FunkyDrummer345

FunkyDrummer345 FunkyD

I haven't read a book in a WHILE lol. But the last one I read was "Women" by Charles Bukowski.

9. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

The Chronicles of The Black Company are my favouritest series of books ever.
    Written by Glen Cook, the Chronicles follow The Black Company through the eyes of their Analyst and Physician.

The way it is written is a bit hard to get into at first ( infact it took me 3 months to understand and read more than 3 chapters and from then everything clicked and I love the series ); It doesn't help when you get launched straight into the story without any explanation of the history, the people nor the nicknames.

The story is very rich, is full of quirks and has plenty of mind blowing surprises. This really is not your average book. The Black Company are a group of elite mercenaries who work for money and in the eyes of the world are scum. Though on the other hand, The Company are very loyal to, not only their-selves but to their employer.

The story is very down to earth and can be very gritty and gross at times but the politics, history and romance add a very nice touch to the story ( the romance between Raven and Darling is kinda weird, complicated, gross and cute at the same time).

The series are easily my favorite books to read and I give them 100/20 points
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Grunge

Grunge Grotesque Perversion

[​IMG]
    Third time reading it over.​