Waylon Jennings (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
I never payed this guy any notice (still don't really cos i'm not into country music) until i foundout only 3 or 4 years ago that he played with BUDDY HOLLY on BUDDY'S final tour 'THE WINTER DANCE PARTY' tour in early 1959 the very same tour that BUDDY HOLLY, RITCHIE VALENS & THE BIG BOPPER RICHARDSON all died in that terrible light airplane crash!!.

Obviously Waylon and the other guy's in the bands on this tour took the bus to the next venue and only foundout about the plane crash when they arrived at the next venue.

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED...

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Hello Waylon fans,

Wondering if anyone can help me name a song that was on radio in Australia in the late 1970s (I think '79?) Not sure if it was a single from one of his albumes or part of a soundtrack for someone / something else.

I was only a kid, I remember hearing it on the local commercial radio station about a dozen times over a few months, and I can still 'hear' one particular melody - but alas, remember no title or lyrics - not even one word - at all. I remember Waylon's name clearly though.

The melody haunts me still, and I want to hear it again.

I cannnot pick it from all of his song titles, nor have any of the lyrics that I have been able to read triggered myh memory (sorry!)

All I can tell you is that it wasn't his typical country music, it was a very slow and soft ballad. Waylon's deep voice was sort of melancholy.

There were verses and a chorus. In the verses, Waylon would sing each line, after which something like a soft trumpet (maybe it was really a synthesizer?) would run up a short scale and back again. Sort of reflective, not the typical tough country outlaw stuff.

Erm, it *was* 30+ years ago, I've read this back and I sound like an idiot, but I really want to find this song for senitmental reasons.

Can anyone help?

For a commercial radio station to be playing a song regularly would have to mean a single which is gained a lot of popularity. I've had a look through several Waylon Jennings songs from around 1979, though he was quite active and had a few popular songs then. I've pulled up Waylon Jennings Discography:

Waylon Jennings discography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All I can suggest is having a look at it and see if any of those song titles ring any bells, I've listened to a couple of them but I'm not finding something which describes how your describing the song, unless a wailing steel guitar sounds like a Synthiser, he even did some stuff with Willie Nelson around that period as well which was popular, and another song I found from that era - "I Ain't Living Long Like This" has a baby piano in it!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I can't believe it's been 10 years since we lost Waylon. :uh:

My alltime favorite outlaw and favorite country performer. Saw him in concert a few times, he never let anyone down, always putting on a good show.

Miss ya hoss!

Waymore's Blues

Lynch

Reaction score
Since the track above, it got me into a Waylon mood. I think I'll post a
few of my favorite tracks from the 70's, which of course was his "golden
years" in country music.

I'd have a hard time singling out only one track as my #1 favorite, but
this one would definitely be in the top 5. The title track from his 1973
album, Honky Tonk Heroes

WaylonJenningsHonkyTonkHeroes.jpg

Honky Tonk Heroes

Good foot stompin' music here. I can't tell you how many beers
and how many whiskeys I've swilled down with my dad with this
song (among many others) crankin' up in the background.

From the same album: You Asked Me To

Southern Geologist

Reaction score
I found this forum through this thread, so I suppose that it's appropriate that I post here first.

The streak he went on from '72-'75 ('76 if you count the live album), was amazing: Lonesome, On'ry and Mean, Honky Tonk Heroes, This Time, The Ramblin' Man, Dreaming My Dreams. All great albums!

Now that Willie has a biography out I hope someone gives Waylon his due and writes his biography.

Lynch

Reaction score
Waymore's Blues has long been one of my favorites. Fun track off of one his best albums, Dreaming My Dreams:

WaylonJenningsDreamingMyDreams.jpg

Good choice Mike! :cheers2

Southern Geologist

Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite Waylon tunes, a 'deep cut' (album track) that I feel is very underrated. Slow Movin' Outlaw from the This Time album.

WaylonJenningsThisTime.jpg

Slow Moving Outlaw

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynch

Reaction score
Re: Waylon Jennings - it's been 9 yrs

Here's a good song (and one most folks probably won't know) with a great slideshow of pictures that someone put together.

Waylon Jennings - Billy

Playing this song right now. I've been on a bit of a Waylon kick lately and have been playing random tracks all night. This song, for some reason, is a bit of a tear jerker for me. The emotion in the both the lyrics as well as Waylon's delivery just gets me. I've got so many good memories connected in my family and a slew of Waylon tracks. This one though, really makes me think of a lot of stuff with my dad while growing up. ALL good times connected to it. Thankfully I still have both of my parents around.

Just went and saw them for a week, did some fishing, whiskey drinking and sitting around playing cards, blasting out Waylon, Queen, The Guess Who, Rolling Stones, Bob Seger and more ... laughing our asses off and spreading the BS out as thick as possible. Was a good time. Wish they didn't live halfway across the state, but it does make the visits a lot more meaningful when I do go.

Anyway, THANK YOU WAYLON for being a common thread through at least 3 generations in my family, sharing good times, good music and great memories with your voice and music playing in the background.

:cheers2

Miss ya Hoss!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online