Waylon Jennings (Official Thread)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Waylon Jennings - it's been 9 yrs

Putting out a little suggestion for LG. I was goign to do it via a message to him, but for some reason, there is a 1000 character limit on those (damn admins!). Anyway, this is for anyone who may or may not know where is a good place to start when getting into ol' Waylon....

Personally, I'd recommend starting with the best of the stuff he did in the 70's. Really, anything from about 1972 to 1982 is pretty damn good in my book, but if I had to pick 4 or 5 albums to start with, I'd go with the following (in order):

1) Dreaming My Dreams (1975)
2) I've Always Been Crazy (1978)
3) Ol' Waylon (1977)
4) What Goes Around Comes Around (1979)
5) Music Man (1980)

Typically, Dreaming My Dreams has been critically considered to be one of his best outtings, which is why I'm suggesting that one first. Any one of these 5 albums is solid from start to finish, in my personal opinion, but then again, I grew up on the stuff, so I'm very used to hearing everything as opposed to just the popular/charted hits.

If you just want to get your toes wet before jumping in, his Greatest Hits album from 1979 is a good place to start. It hits the duets with Willie as well as some of the more well known songs he did in the 70's. If you like that, then perhaps hit the list above as there are a lot of tunes that never got radio play, never ended up on any sort of Best Of album that I will forever love.

Another good one his his Waylon Live album from 1976 (actually recorded a couple yrs earlier) which also has several cover tunes on it

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Waylon Jennings - it's been 9 yrs

Okay thank you for the informative post Lynch, I'll put them on my list and see what I can lay my hands on.:cheers2

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
Waylon Jennings

Happy Birthday to Waylon Jennings!

6179360_109630761084.jpg

June 15, 1937 / Feb. 13, 2002

Early in his career, Waylon played bass for Buddy Holly. On February 3rd of 1959 he gave up his seat to singer J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson on the plane that carried Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and Richardson to their deaths, taking a bus instead.

Jennings recorded over 60 albums, and had sixteen Number 1 country singles.

Waylon won two Grammy awards and four Country Music Association Awards, and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in October 2001.

In his later years, his health caused him problems, and doctors wanted to amputate his left foot due to problems with his diabetes, however he refused to allow, and this lead ultimately to his death. Jennings died on February 13th 2002.

The Highwaymen

the_highwaymen_.jpg

Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, And Johnny Cash.

Waylon Jennings Memorial @ Find A Grave

The Grand Ole Opry on August 12, 1978.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Waylon Jennings

Happy Birthday, Waylon and may you rest in peace.

Waylon is one of my favorite country outlaws :tup:

I aslo like Shooter's music, too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Lynchie has a thread for Waylon...and I have 5 of his albums now myself.:grinthumb

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Lynchie has a thread for Waylon...and I have 5 of his albums now myself.:grinthumb

Sorry I missed his thread....I would have put this there :wtf:.

Waylon is one of all time favorites, I was fortunate enough to have met him a couple of times, once at Leon Russell`s home on Grand Lake (Oklahoma) and again years later in a club in Austin....hell of a nice guy!

I have "This Time", "Dreaming My Dreams", "Honky Tonk Heroes" and one of his Greatest Hits albums....and it`s a good one!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

No problem Garrett, you could always post your "special birthday" threads in the Music News sub-forum if you wanted, otherwise we will eventually merge it with the existing thread.

I've always liked him, but only recently gave his music a serious look, but it is cool that you have rubbed shoulders with him in person.:grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Since this is the 'official' thread, I guess I'll have to add something to it again. ;)

(note to self... Waylon thread!)

yvette

Reaction score
Hello Waylon fans,

Wondering if anyone can help me name a song that was on radio in Australia in the late 1970s (I think '79?) Not sure if it was a single from one of his albumes or part of a soundtrack for someone / something else.

I was only a kid, I remember hearing it on the local commercial radio station about a dozen times over a few months, and I can still 'hear' one particular melody - but alas, remember no title or lyrics - not even one word - at all. I remember Waylon's name clearly though.

The melody haunts me still, and I want to hear it again.

I cannnot pick it from all of his song titles, nor have any of the lyrics that I have been able to read triggered myh memory (sorry!)

All I can tell you is that it wasn't his typical country music, it was a very slow and soft ballad. Waylon's deep voice was sort of melancholy.

There were verses and a chorus. In the verses, Waylon would sing each line, after which something like a soft trumpet (maybe it was really a synthesizer?) would run up a short scale and back again. Sort of reflective, not the typical tough country outlaw stuff.

Erm, it *was* 30+ years ago, I've read this back and I sound like an idiot, but I really want to find this song for senitmental reasons.

Can anyone help?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online