Was Jim Morrison burned out at the time of his death?

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
[/IMG] JimMorrisonGraveSite.jpg

smileyvault-rip.gif

Does anybody know what the Latin words on the bottom of his gravestone say???

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Means "against the devil himself" or "against the devil within"

Jim Morrison's relatives left the phrase as an inscription on his tomb, meaning that Jim obeyed his personal God and not the rules of society.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Means "against the devil himself" or "against the devil within"

Jim Morrison's relatives left the phrase as an inscription on his tomb, meaning that Jim obeyed his personal God and not the rules of society.

Very cool indeed..Thanks MP.. :grinthumb

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

In the 1990s Morrison's father, George Stephen Morrison, placed a flat stone on the grave. The stone bears the Greek inscription: ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ, literally meaning "according to his own daimōn" and usually interpreted as "true to his own spirit".

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
I find it difficult to agree that Jim was too burned out for the Doors to continue as a band when he left for Paris. There really weren't any creative differences when he left for Paris and the Doors hadn't broken up as a band. Jim just thought he needed a break. He wanted to spend some time away from the hustle and bustle of being a rock musician in order to get his head together. Lots of musicians take extended vacations from the music business. What Jim really needed of course was a good kick in the ass and to spend some time in a rehabilitation clinic but that's not what he did.

I listened to "L.A. Woman" a couple of times over the weekend as a prelude to writing up a review. In my opinion it was their best album since their debut album, better than even "Strange Days" or "Morrison Hotel". All Jim did on the last two albums by the Doors was lay down the vocals in his own inimitable style while the other fellows took care of the instrumental arrangements. And the albums were great! I see no reason why the Doors could not have recorded another three or four more albums the same way.

:drums:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Hey Hep or anybody who knows more about this.. But in the movie "The Doors" during his later days he was depicted in the movie during a scene where it all was coming down on him at once..
Pretty much he thought he was having a nervous break down.. Was this a true fact that he did have a mental breakdown???

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
There are written accounts that Jim thought he was having a nervous breakdown in the Doors' offices at one time but that neither his bandmates nor anybody else associated with the Doors took it seriously. Given that he'd been drinking again at the time, his credibility was low.

It's interesting to note that Ray Manzarek has been quoted as saying that he was pleased with the way he himself was portrayed in the movie, and all three surviving members thought that Val Kilmer did an excellent job of portraying Jim Morrison. But none of the Doors thought that the plotline gave a fair and balanced account of Jim's character and didn't think it was a particularly good biography of the band.

:dunno:

Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Jim Morrison may have had a nervous breakdown during the Doors' last public performance at the Warehouse in New Orleans on 12 December 1970. Midway through the set he slammed the microphone down numerous times onto the stage floor until the platform beneath it was destroyed. He then sat down and refused to perform for the remainder of the show. Ray, Robby and John met after the show and decided to end their live appearances since it appeared evident that Jim was ready to "retire" from performing.

:wtf: :bonk:

Several months later, however, the transcendent "L.A. Woman" album was released so evidently Jim could still lay down the vocals in the studio.

:dunno:

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Wow!! Hep.. I really wonder what went on behind Jim Morrison's eyes.. He seen the world in such a complex way..
I've tripped a few times and I'm sure the stuff he was doing gave him a view of the "Other side" of this world..
But he is a fascinating person to say the least..
He walked on the weird side of life for sure.. But I don't hold that against him..
He brought a whole new feel to music. Sang about things that were poetic and deep.
I've read some of his poems on a web site, and they are way out there.. I write but my mind could never come up with that sorta stuff..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online