Register to remove these ads

Warren Zevon: King Of Halloween

Discussion in 'Rock Lounge' started by algernon, Oct 31, 2005.

1. algernon

algernon Senior Member

I'm sure someone has made this connection before, but Zevon should have the crown. Tonight as I entered my loft I was drawn to him...and EXCITABLE BOY is the greatest Halloween album of all time. ROLAND THE HEADLESS THOMPSON GUNNER, WEREWOLVES OF LONDON, the title track, and the fantastic LAWYERS GUNS AND MONEY. Zevon is to Halloween what Bing Crosby is to Christmas. The sad circumstances of his demise only add to the haunting-ness.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Devout Heathen

This is very true. Unfortunately I really did not explore his music until "The Wind" came out.

3. kath

kath astronomy domino's™

roland the headless thompson gunner just rules. outright. :D

and other zevon... i've always been a sucker for...
    there's a certainnn girl i been in love with a long, long time
    (whats her name???)
    i can't tell ya
    (awwwwwwww.)

4. Music Wench

Music Wench Rock and Roll Grandma

Warren Zevon rocks!!! Excitable Boy is such a great album. Lawyers, Guns and Money is probably my favorite if I had to choose one. That song was a favorite of mine and got worn out back in the day of vinyl.

Always associated Werewolves of London with Halloween but never thought about Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner and Halloween but it is so very fitting.
    :cool:

5. TeleCat

TeleCat Blackmore's Advocate

I actually saw Warren Zevon on Halloween in '87 (Sentimental Hygiene tour).

6. kath

kath astronomy domino's™

i am laden with envy.

envy-ridden, even.

7. Martha Washington

Martha Washington eat it! it's GOOD for you

I agree.
    I couldn't find a SINGLE Cramps tape this Halloween so I grabbed "Excitable Boy" by default.

Just for a change, instead of playing my three or four favorites, I played the whole thing for about two weeks.
    It's a wonderful album.

I hated that whole Asylum records west coast laid back cocaine music trend for the most part. Zevon was the Charles Addams of the batch and I say god bless him!
    Only Bobby "Boris" Pickett is a more certain artist to hear on Halloween and I think that's pretty good company. Besides, to my knowledge, Bobby "Boris" Pickett never made a wonderful album.

8. algernon

algernon Senior Member

You're right, Martha. Zevon was a breath of fresh air to the "desperados under the Eaves."

9. Clapton's Layla

Clapton's Layla Banned

I am days late on this topic...however , I had to comment on the late great Warren Zevon !I own many of his albums. Excitable Boy is the best! He really knows how to mix humor,politics ,and music ! His sarcastic wit is amazing! He is one of my ALL time favorites. It's a shame he's mostly only known for 'Werewolves Of London' by the general public. He HAS SUCH an interesting view of life in his music!He never much minded that he wasn't 'mainstream' music.He just played what he wanted ! I miss his charming smart-ass songs ! R.I.P Warren ! "I never shared a hot tub with David Geffin" -Warren Zevon