Vocal Ability: Paul McCartney vs. Freddie Mercury

well?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
What list is that? Since you failed to provide the link you were so excited about showing us...

The rolling stone list (which is what I was talking about) had Freddie at 18.

Here's the link: 100 Greatest Male Rock Vocalists

This list actually goes to 200.:grinthumb

Forget about Mercury vs. McCartney, what I want to know is how is Lou Gramm of Foreigner only at #60? Now that's a travesty!:D

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
I am somewhat bemused by the passionate debate posed by a seemingly innocuous thread like this one. It's almost like reading a Metallica vs Megadeth thread...:lmao:

As long as you all stay calm and don't hurl insults carry on, as far as being called Biased if you are a fan of one or the other...I have no problem with that, I voted for Paul knowing Freddie would win this one, so I am biased in Paul's favor and admit it.:grinthumb

I honestly expected this to only get 10 or 15 replies max.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
I am somewhat bemused by the passionate debate posed by a seemingly innocuous thread like this one. It's almost like reading a Metallica vs Megadeth thread...:lmao:

As long as you all stay calm and don't hurl insults carry on, as far as being called Biased if you are a fan of one or the other...I have no problem with that, I voted for Paul knowing Freddie would win this one, so I am biased in Paul's favor and admit it.:grinthumb

Biased for McCartney??! Why you rotten SOB.....:oyea:

Just tweaking ya little.:D

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
And oh yeah...

In 2005, a poll organised by Blender and MTV2 saw Mercury voted the greatest male singer of all time.

Yeah. Ask MTV2 watchers?

Who was #2 Justin Timberlake?

:oyea:

In 2009, a Classic Rock poll saw him voted the greatest rock singer of all time.

Was this the ''classic rock poll'' you conducted from the other forum? :rolleyes:

In 2008, Rolling Stone editors ranked him number 18 on their list of the 100 greatest singers of all time.

What? the great Freddie Mercury only ranked only 18 even with the whole ''Octive scale without dropping into a falsetto'' thing? :heheh:

Obviously, if Freddie boy ranked 18, they thought 17 other singers were better.

So, everyone doesn't think he's the greatest.

HYPE*HYPE*HYPE

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
LG, I will admit this thread is making me hold my tongue like no other before it. I've wanted to say so many things but have refrained in order to keep the peace. It's been hard. :banghead::heheh:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
And oh yeah...

Yeah. Ask MTV2 watchers?

Who was #2 Justin Timberlake?

:oyea:

Was this the ''classic rock poll'' you conducted from the other forum? :rolleyes:

What? the great Freddie Mercury only ranked only 18 even with the whole ''Octive scale without dropping into a falsetto'' thing? :heheh:

Obviously, if Freddie boy ranked 18, they thought 17 other singers were better.

So, everyone doesn't think he's the greatest.

HYPE*HYPE*HYPE

Well, Rolling Stone did have McCartney higher than Mercury but then again they have Dylan at #7 so I don't think they were going on vocal ability alone. Because even with your dislike of Freddie, you would have to admit that he's got a better voice than Dylan. Hell, this list has Lennon ranked ahead of McCartney. Aretha Franklin is #1, which I don't agree with at all. Ray Charles is #2, can't really fault that pick though.:D

100 Greatest Singers | Rolling Stone Music | Lists

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Well, Rolling Stone did have McCartney higher than Mercury but then again they have Dylan at #7 so I don't think they were going on vocal ability alone. Because even with your dislike of Freddie, you would have to admit that he's got a better voice than Dylan. Hell, this list has Lennon ranked ahead of McCartney. Aretha Franklin is #1, which I don't agree with at all. Ray Charles is #2, can't really fault that pick though.:D

100 Greatest Singers | Rolling Stone Music | Lists

Well then of course it can't be right

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

:wtf:

When Jeff Buckley, Geoff Tate (Queensryche) Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle) Tim Buckley are in the top 20 of the greatest singers....you know this list is a joke.

I'm not saying they're bad singers, but top 20 singers of all time?

Was this a poll....where did this come from?

even with your dislike of Freddie, you would have to admit that he's got a better voice than Dylan.

All I know is I'd rather listen to Dylan then Freddie Mercury.

Who's better? - that's a matter of opinion. ;)

:cheers2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online