well?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Well then of course it can't be right

I didn't say that, you're reading too much into my post. If you are going to sit there and say that Dylan has the 7th best voice in all of Rock and Roll, well that's just crazy!!:wtf: It is distinctive but he has very little range. But if you add in songwriting ability, then yes, maybe Dylan does deserve to be ranked 7th.

I guess we need to define the parameters of the debate. Are we considering frontman appeal, instrument playing ability, songwriting ability, or just plain vocal abiltiy? All of the above? You should've defined this matchup as you did your Lennon/Dylan matchup.

As for Rolling Stone magazine, it tends to be nice to people in the Rock biz who are personal friends of the magazine's co-founder, Jann Wenner. Which Dylan is. I do remember them catching flak back in the 70s for giving every single Boz Scaggs album a positive review. Boz Scaggs hung out with Wenner so the reviewers cast a lot of uncritical ears his way.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I didn't say that, you're reading too much into my post. If you are going to sit there and say that Dylan has the 7th best voice in all of Rock and Roll, well that's just crazy!!:wtf: It is distinctive but he has very little range. But if you add in songwriting ability, then yes, maybe Dylan does deserve to be ranked 7th.

I guess we need to define the parameters of the debate. Are we considering frontman appeal, instrument playing ability, songwriting ability, or just plain vocal abiltiy? All of the above? You should've defined this matchup as you did your Lennon/Dylan matchup.

As for Rolling Stone magazine, it tends to be nice to people in the Rock biz who are personal friends of the magazine's co-founder, Jann Wenner. Which Dylan is. I do remember them catching flak back in the 70s for giving every single Boz Scaggs album a positive review. Boz Scaggs hung out with Wenner so the reviewers cast a lot of uncritical ears his way.

I find it hard to agree with RS on anything. They had THE biggest agenda against my LZ boys in the 70's. :rolleyes:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
I find it hard to agree with RS on anything. They had THE biggest agenda against my LZ boys in the 70's. :rolleyes:

I remeber that too. They hated Led Zeppelin during their heyday. RS only grudingly gave Zeppelin respect during the latter part of the 80s and early 90s when Zep had a mini-revival.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have to go out for a while, I am enjoying the good natured give and take, hopefully when I get back it hasn't exploded into a "forum brawl"...:grinthumb

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
I remeber that too. They hated Led Zeppelin during their heyday. RS only grudingly gave Zeppelin respect during the latter part of the 80s and early 90s when Zep had a mini-revival.

You mean when they started writing their own songs?

Sorry, no more

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
You mean when they started writing their own songs?

Sorry, no more

Yeah, they had to be broken up for RS to give them credit.

Rolling Stone magazine has gone completely downhill since the early 90s.

An example of one of their recent covers:

MAG_F.jpg

Seriously, Snooki??:shock:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
LG, I will admit this thread is making me hold my tongue like no other before it. I've wanted to say so many things but have refrained in order to keep the peace. It's been hard. :banghead::heheh:

Page, it's only music...and opinions...so, let it rip!

:cheers2

Rolling Stone magazine has gone completely downhill since the early 90s.

I'd say they went downhill way before that - more like early 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online