Vivian Campbell has nothing but admiration for Ronnie James Dio as a singer

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

VIVIAN CAMPBELL: I Have Nothing But Great Admiration For RONNIE JAMES DIO As A Singer - Apr. 8, 2011
DEF LEPPARD guitarist Vivian Campbell, who had an acrimonious split with Ronnie James Dio (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW, HEAVEN & HELL) in the mid-'80s when the two worked together in the first incarnation of Dio's solo band, was recently asked by the Artisan News Service (see video below) for his feelings on the legendary heavy metal singer now that Ronnie has passed on.

"[I have] nothing but great admiration for Ronnie as a singer; he was the best in a genre," Vivian said. "He was a difficult man to work with, for me personally; he and I had a very terse relationship. We did make great music together; I'm very proud of those albums and I always will be. That was it, you know. But sometimes, it's chalk and cheese. It was a strange and difficult time for me. I'm sure it was just as difficult for him to have to deal with me. But it is what it is, or was what it was. But like I said, the music is the important thing, and that's what will endure even after I'm dead. [And] the music was great."

In a 2003 interview posted on DEF LEPPARD's official web site, Campbell talked about his disdain for hard rock. "The real irony of that is I actually don't like hard rock music," he said. "I know it's a strange thing to say, but I don't really care about my past contributions. Even now I still get these guys coming up to me going 'Duuuuuuuude!', giving me the DIO devil sign and yelling 'Holy Diver!!' and 'Rainbow In The Dark', whoo hoo!!' and it's cool that they remember it, but that music never mattered to me — and still doesn't." Campbell went on to praise and rip Ronnie James Dio, saying, "Oh yeah, night after night, [Ronnie] was absolutely on the money. An incredibly strong voice and within that niche genre of dungeons and dragons and rainbows and midgets... You know, the sorta old-school heavy metal, he's an incredible talent. But he's an awful businessman and way more importantly, one of the vilest people in the industry."

A video clip of Ronnie James Dio calling Campbell "a ****ing asshole" and saying that "I hope he ****ing dies" in reference to his former bandmate was posted on YouTube in October 2007. The two-minute clip was shot on March 30, 2007 while Ronnie was signing autographs for fans after HEAVEN & HELL's show at the Radio City Music Hall in New York City. "He's a piece of shit," Dio said. "You ever heard the things he ever said about me? He called me the most despicable human being that ever lived. I went, 'I thought I gave you a chance and made you somebody. And now you're playing with who? DEF ****ing who?' There's a ****ing rock band for you to ****ing have diarrhea with."

LYs2xD_-oEZ4t2lss3megpSMvIA4yj0GBsYBn2oRlTKOuA&t=1.jpg

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Campbell changes his mind about Dio and his work in the band like the weather. I've seen an interview or two with him in reliable source(s) where he talked about how he enjoyed the music he was doing with Dio more than some of the stuff he has done since joining Leppard.

I never knew Ronnie had that much apparent dislike for Vivian, though.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah near the end there it looked lke Ronnie despised the dude.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Vivian is a bit flakey on the subject, but for the most part, he's never hidden the fact that the two didn't get along. Same went with Ronnie. After Viv left the band (or was fired, depending on which story you want to believe), I never heard Ronnie say a kind word about Viv.

This is the first time I've heard about him being that 'candor' on the subject though, referring to the YT vid that was around after the Heaven and Hell concert. Never saw or heard that.

Lynch

Reaction score
Most likely, only RJD and Viv ~really~ know, but I've heard rumors that they didn't get along from an Employer/Employee standpoint. Then, if you know anything about Hear'n'Aid, the metal stars of that timeframe's version of "We Are The World" is where it finally blew up.

From what I've read from numerous sites/sources over the years, that whole project was actually Vivian Campbell's idea. Him and I think Jimmy Bain (but can't remember for sure). However, they didn't have the personal star power it would take to really get it all together and execute it. So Ronnie got more involved and sort of took over spearheading the whole project and in the process, pushing a bigger wedge between him and Viv all the while stepping on Viv's toes over the whole project.

Again, I have ZERO proof of that, I'm simply going by memory from years past. I am also under the thought that those two really never spoke again after Viv officially left the band. Hard to believe that 25 years went by and they never so much as said "hey" or "hello" to each other.

:confused: Hope that helps, but again, I can't say it's 100% gospel.

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
Most likely, only RJD and Viv ~really~ know, but I've heard rumors that they didn't get along from an Employer/Employee standpoint. Then, if you know anything about Hear'n'Aid, the metal stars of that timeframe's version of "We Are The World" is where it finally blew up.

From what I've read from numerous sites/sources over the years, that whole project was actually Vivian Campbell's idea. Him and I think Jimmy Bain (but can't remember for sure). However, they didn't have the personal star power it would take to really get it all together and execute it. So Ronnie got more involved and sort of took over spearheading the whole project and in the process, pushing a bigger wedge between him and Viv all the while stepping on Viv's toes over the whole project.

Again, I have ZERO proof of that, I'm simply going by memory from years past. I am also under the thought that those two really never spoke again after Viv officially left the band. Hard to believe that 25 years went by and they never so much as said "hey" or "hello" to each other.

:confused: Hope that helps, but again, I can't say it's 100% gospel.

Hmm, I'd never heard the Stars theory before, but that does actually sound pretty plausible (Worth asking afterall!). The extent of my knowlege is basically reading reports saying one owes the other large amounts of money, but God knows if there's any substance behind that.

I've read a few fan accounts saying that Viv Campbell is a right ol' twat, so maybe it's just a simple matter of RJD getting fed up with working with a twat. Or vice versa, of course.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
All of this makes Dio no different than Ozzy, Alice Cooper, Yngwie Malmsteen or Ted Nugent's band. They have members come in and out all the time.

Guys who get involved assume they will have more input or control over the band than they end up getting. Whether it is the songwriting process or being more actively promoted.

Then either those guys get pissed or the guy they are working for gets pissed.

Personally, I tend to side with the guy who named the band after himself. If someone doesn't like the conditions they are working under, then they shouldn't be working there. So that is what Vivian did.

Problem is, he probably made a much bigger fuss about his frustration than most hired guns do. Ted and Alice are the only guys who come to mind who aren't involved in a long-running feud with one or more of their old band members. Because I know Ozzy and Yngwie sure are.

Lynch

Reaction score
I do love this quote from RJD (I did find the video clip btw):

Ronnie James Dio said:
And now you're playing with who? DEF F*cking who?' There's a f*cking rock band for you to f*cking have diarrhea with."

... "have diarrhea with". :lmao:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online