Review Van Halen - I (1978)

album review

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Van Halen Debut

While Van Halen have certainly done some good albums...IMO nothing beats the dynamic sounds as from the debut . This is a GREAT album!! 10 out of 10 :bow: for me
All the songs are strong ,musicianship out of this world and Dave Lee Roth in faultless form. The other albums have there moments thats for sure but have never matched this masterpiece.:cheers2

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Re: Van Halen Debut

Roth as humorous as he is quipped that he heard Ray Davies of The Kinks have fans at their gigs walk up to him and say they do a great version of Van Halen's "You Really Got Me." A favorite debut album of mine. To add to the story that Gene Simmons wanted to produce them, he wanted them under the name Daddy Long Legs.

They were local boys in the Pasadena area. One of the managers at a record store here called Poo Bahs was a sound engineer at their concert at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. A soundboard tape of it is out there too. Great show...the band plays well live.

Last edited:

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
One of my favorite albums of all time. I can't help but focus on the guitar 90% of the time when I hear this album. Hooked me for life back in '78.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My favourite VH album easily. None of the others top the debut for me.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I don't think I've heard a better debut album.

Feel Your Love Tonight, On Fire, Runnin' With The Devil are absolutely immense.

The whole album is one solid slab of awesomeness.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online