Van Canto (Official thread)

Neverlife

Reaction score
Official Website

Van Canto is an a cappella metal band from Germany, founded in 2006. It is composed of five singers and a drummer.

Van Canto fuses a cappella (non-instrumental vocal music) with heavy/speed metal, creating what they call "a capella metal". While only two of the five singers perform the lead vocals, the other three will instead use their voices to imitate the guitars and the bass, with the help of amplifiers, in attempt to sound closer to the original instruments.

I wasn't sure what to think when I first heard of these guys....5 singers and a drummer? How the hell would this work? And I was amazed how well they pull it off. Honestly its one of the coolest bands I've ever found.

DISCOGRAPHY:

A Storm to Come (2006)
Tribe of Force (2010)
Break the Silence (2011)
Dawn of the Brave (2014)

There's not much else to say, so here's some videos! Their video's are VERY fantasy based (You'll never find one without swords and the good stuff :D)

Wishmaster (Nightwish) - One of my favorites by far, once you stop laughing at the absurd sounds. (Ridely-Ridely-Ridely-Ridely-Ridely-Ridely-Dum-Dum, hahaha)

Speed of Light (Stratovarius) - There isn't much in this song that actually reminds me of Stratovarius' version, but its pretty bad-ass none-the-less.

Battery (Metallica) - Well, the name says it all. Great song once you stop laughing. The Bald dude is EPIC.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Van Canto

Sorry buddy not my cup of tea, but it is definitely different I'll give them that much.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Actually they do pull it off !! The vocal harmonies make it seem like there are guitars and other instruments. They do this with their voices and amplifiers....how totally awesome :metal:

Neverlife

Reaction score

I've just listened to their albums (All 2!) and they rocked all the way through. I'm in love with these guys, its such a cool idea, and they do it amazingly.

This is one of their songs, not a cover, and its pretty awesome too. The end makes me shiver every time, when all the voices pop in, amazing.

(And for all the guys out there she is wearing a very revealing shirt :D Major cleavage around :50) :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

She needs that clevage to reach those super high notes :D

Neverlife

Reaction score

Another great song I found by them 'A unbelievable melodic metal experience' is how I saw it put...and I agree. Maybe not that amazing, but its got such a cool vibe to it.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

If anything, I can't say it's not fun. I don't think any amount of listening could make me take it seriously, but it's great for a laugh :heheh:

Neverlife

Reaction score

If anything, I can't say it's not fun. I don't think any amount of listening could make me take it seriously, but it's great for a laugh :heheh:

Some of their other not-single songs are less funny and more listenable.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From 2016 album

Voices of Fire
VanCantoMVM_VoicesOfFire_small.jpg

Clashing of Armour Plates

Time and Time Again

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
From 2016 album

Voices of Fire
VanCantoMVM_VoicesOfFire_small.jpg

This is a great album! When these guys first appeared, I honestly never thought I could get into them, but they've gotten better and better and slowly won me over. I guess it helped that I'm a big fan of their female vocalist. Moving away from doing only covers is exactly what they needed to become really outstanding.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online