Vader and Riff Raff's Metal discussion (with occasional outside interference!)

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Something I could never understand is why BATHORY - Bathory 1984 is the first so called "Black Metal" album. If you listen to the riffs it sounds very similar to what Dave Mustaine or a number of other thrash metal guitarists would be playing at that time. The vocals are less guttural then Sodoms ( a thrash band). Iin fact the main thing that sets it apart from thrash metal releases at that time is that It was recorded in a home bathroom on a cheap ass tape recorder lol

Some very lo fi thrash recorded in a shitter apparently = 1st wave black metal :heheh:

Bathory.jpg

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It sounded like early black metal to me. It has thrash elements in there I agree but it still has early style of what black metal would become in there. To me anyway and other black metal fans I talk to. Only thing I find annoying when it comes to sub genres are idiots who use lyrical themes to make a genre. Viking metal is one that is not a real genre but just a lyrical theme.

Vader

Reaction score
It sounded like early black metal to me. It has thrash elements in there I agree but it still has early style of what black metal would become in there. To me anyway and other black metal fans I talk to. Only thing I find annoying when it comes to sub genres are idiots who use lyrical themes to make a genre. Viking metal is one that is not a real genre but just a lyrical theme.

Most " first wave black metal " ie Celtic Frost, Venom, Bathory, Mercyful Fate etc are more thrash metal bands w/ satanic lyrics ...though they have bits of other elements IMO and in the opinion of a lot people were listen to them at that time. MERCYFUL FATE on the other hand is more of ruff power thrash metal band with satanic theatrics. CELTIC FROST is more a doomy thrash band ...mostly. VENOM , low fi thrash again.

All these bands certainly influenced Black Metal a great deal but I still don't hear the black metal in these groups. Not in the early periods at anyrate.

Viking Metal is more of an symphonic/ folk version of Black Metal and not just lyricism. That is why Enslaved
gets the Progressive Black Metal label ( from those in the know ) rather then Viking Metal tag even though they were one of first to use viking mysticism as a lyrical concept.

Feel free to disagree but I maintain that I am correct:heheh:

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
Sorry about that, forgot you couldn't see posted Youtube vids.

Here's the link: http://youtu.be/YipKQBErCW0

Enjoy :tongue:

black-metal-grumpy-cat_o_982999.jpg

:D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agree to disagree then because I don't agree either way.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bought the new Venom on Ebay and pre ordered the new Enslaved and Psycroptic. Keen for those but particularly Enslaved. Awesome progressive black metal band.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online