Utopia - Ra

scarabus

Reaction score
In 1977 a friend played me (Todd Rundgren's) Utopia's Ra.

After one listen I was hooked, couldn't believe what I heard.
Last week I was on my attic and I stumbled upon it, while I was searching for another lp.
Thought I could give it a spin. Since then I played it several times and I'm still hooked.

Utopia is Todd Rundgren leadguitar and vocals, Roger Powell keyboards and vocals, John Wilcox drums and vocals and Kasim Sulton bass and vocals.
This lp had a playing time of almost 54 minutes!!!
The previous albums by Utopia (different line-ups) were very progressive and jazzy.
The albums that were released after Ra are more pop / rock oriented.

The album opens with "Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion with the Sun".
With a instrumental orchestral like opening the songs builds to a climax.
Immediately the great (harmony) vocals stand out. Fine speedy drums by Wilcox and a blistering guitarsolo by Todd at the end.

"Magic Dragon Theatre" is a strange track, with a "scene" acted during the middle section. Again the vocals by all members are a highlight.
Sometimes the layered vocals remind of Queen.

"Jealousy" is a slow rocksong, with guitar and keyboardsolo's at the end.

"Eternal Love" is the only ballad on the album, again the layered vocals stand out.

"Sunburst Finish" contains the progressive and jazzy elements of the old days. A lot of interplay between guitar and keyboards.

Side 2 kicks of with "Hiroshima", telling the tale of dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
It starts with an oriental melody. The melody and vocals are very addictive.
A ticking clock leads into a great keyboardsolo which is followed by a phenomal guitar / keyboardbattle.

The last song on the album is the 18 minute "Singrin and The Glass Guitar [An Electrified Fairtale]".
A song like on old Rush records.
It tells the story of four brave souls looking for four keys to unlock a glass guitar to set the spirit Singrin free.
Each brave soul is presented by a member of the band and he has a solo spot while finding / retrieving a key.
A narrator on helium tells at the begin of each part what is going on.
It is a kind of Spinal Tap, but a great listen. Great vocals, great solo's, just wonderfull.
But I can imagine that some people don't see the humor in it.
The song begins with the narrator telling:"This is an electrified fairy tale. If you've never heard of an electrified
fairy tale, just picture little fairies with wee tiny electric guitars".

I still think it's a great listen.

The production is top notch.
Vocals of all four members are great and their harmonies are thrilling (Queen in the 70s).
And each member is a master of his instrument.

Give it a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gdrh3qu8SQ

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Great stuff, I picked up quite a few of his albums on CD a few years ago, fantastic music, still a few I need to pick up.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online