Review Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself (1971)

album review

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
1713479299243.jpeg

Now I am going to talk a bit about Heep's "Look At Yourself". It is their third album released in late 1971. I am glad to own a copy in both formats - LP and CD. And LP indeed does have a reflective foil on the front to relates directly to the title. Track listing:
Side 1

1. Look at Yourself
2. I Wanna Be Free
3. July Morning

Side 2

1. Tears in My Eyes
2. Shadows of Grief
3. What Should Be Done
4. Love Machine

I am not sure how to classify "Look At Yourself", as Hammond organ or guitar fronted album. For sure - this album is (literally) heavier than "Very 'Eavy... Very 'Umble..." and "Salisbury". This album tells the direction of the band were doing. Again, Hensley was the songwriter for all of the songs, except July Morning, Shadows of Grief and Love Machine, which includes Byron and Box).

I really love this album for few reasons:
1. Vocal harmony - Byron's range is unbelievable! It's amazing to hear all those changes between songs from strong to soft and back. I am actually not sure if I still should give a credit to Ian Gillan for the best high pitch singing. Byron nailed on July Morning.
2. Hammond organ - so demonic! Look At Yourself, Shadows Of Grief and July Morning are truly masterpieces when it comes to Hensley's playing on organs. He knows how to draw out evilness IMO.
3. Guitar riffs and solos - very 'eavy! I still can't believe Mick is such an amazing guitar player and is still so underrated and kind of forgotten. Great solo on I Wanna Be Free, Look At Yourself and Love Machine.
4. Manfred Mann - Manfred appeared on July Morning with his Moog synthesiser adding more dramatic melody right before the end of the track.
5. Soft breakdown - What Should Be Done is a song, that will make our ears rest a bit within this epic, heavy album.

I must also say I don't know why is this happening to me, but July Morning makes me cry sometimes. This song does have something unknown spirit, that will touch if you listen to it few times and carefully.

Absolute classic, if you're starting with Heeps - do it from this album.
10 out of 10, can't find anything bad in "Look At Yourself".

Here's title track sung by Ken Hensley.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I definitely love to hear the hammond organ! You don't get the strong organ driven songs from bands these days. I agree, the organ can give off a creepy vibe sometimes, but I like the intensity the hammond adds.

Nice review! :clap:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Always nice to see a youngster come along and fall in love with one of the old classic rock bands of my youth.

Nice review Nolo.:cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Same here!! Great review on a great band and a great album. I also think it's awesome when a younger cat gets into something this killer!

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I am glad to own a copy in both formats - LP and CD. And LP indeed does have a reflective foil on the front to relates directly to the title.

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself - Heep's masterpiece album!

Not only one of the best albums of the 70's, but one of the best album covers too!

It's classic anyway you look at it! :grinthumb

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :grinthumb
I had to express my feelings on this masterpiece, some of the outtakes and extended versions are also excellent, but I'd rather to focus on original LP. :D

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Great review @Nololob.
This is the album where I feel that UH were beginning to come into their purple patch. My favourite tracks were What should be Done and Shadows of Grief, with Kens' keyboard perfectly complementing Davids' voice. There are no filler tracks on this album. An absolute classic. Also give it 10/10

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
An excellent slab of vinyl ! Easily my favourite URIAH HEEP album and a good review. 8 out of 10

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online