Updated title: R.I.P. GINGER BAKER

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
gingerbakercream_638.jpg
Legendary CREAM drummer Ginger Baker is "critically ill" and in the hospital, his family has revealed.

"Please keep him in your prayers tonight," the family wrote in a brief statement posted to Baker's official Twitter account on Wednesday afternoon.

Baker, who turned 80 in August, has experienced a number of health issues in recent years. In 2016, he underwent open heart surgery, which forced him to cancel a run of tour dates. During recovery, a fall also left him with swollen legs and feet. In 2013, he was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and he is also said to ber suffering from chronic back pain as a result of degenerative osteoarthritis.

During his musical beginnings on the London jazz scene of the late 1950s, Peter "Ginger" Baker forged a name for himself for his unconventional drum setup and flamboyant style. In 1966, after seeing Eric Clapton play in London, he formed the power trio CREAM with Clapton and bassist Jack Bruce. Over the next two years, CREAM sold 15 million albums, scoring such hits as "White Room", "Strange Brew" and "Sunshine Of Your Love".

Baker, who gained a reputation as the most uncontrollable musician on the scene, was the subject of a 2013 documentary, "Beware Of Mr. Baker", which painted the title character as a chain-smoking, profanity-spewing, mean-spirited, entitled, grouchy, vile and self-destructive man with otherworldly talent and tragic flaws.

E-Z

Reaction score
The Cream's Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker along with Jimi Hendrix were probably the only guys worth listening to circa 1966-1970 and in fact I still listen to Cream & Hendrix regular to this day 50 years on.

All the best Ginger.

Brian Bingham

Reaction score
I am friended on Facebook with both Ginger Baker (via his daughter Nettie Baker) and his son Kofi Baker. I have both of Nettie Baker's autographed books about her life as a rock star's daughter and the awesome limited edition book Full Cream was dispatched to my address yesterday ,which is also the day that Ginger entered the hospital. I am saddened to hear of his critical illness. I have been a fan of the band Cream since the year 1967 and I still have the magazine article about Cream's performance here in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada on June 1, 1968 which I extracted from the August 10, 1968 issue of Canadian Magazine. 01.png 02.png 03.png 01a.jpg

Reactions: E-Z

Arkie

Reaction score
Twitter update -
UPDATE! Ginger is holding his own & thank you for all your good wishes. He is receiving visits from close family & very special friends.

2:59 AM - 29 Sep 2019

Thats good news on this Sunday morning. :)

E-Z

Reaction score
Heard reported on the BBC radio 4 midday news from London (7:00am eastern time) that sadly Ginger had passed away.

RIP Ginger...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online