Umphrey's McGee

Abraxas

Reaction score
Over the weekend I was watching a local PBS station and Soundstage came on announcing Umphrey's McGee. I watched this group for the first time and was blown away. They combine progressive rock with jam band elements which I thought was very cool. Anyone else heard of this band?

Abraxas

Reaction score
Found this about the band at wikipedia:

Umphrey's McGee is an American progressive rock jam band based in Chicago whose music is often referred to as "progressive improvisation," or "Improg" (As per a Progressive sampler released by the band in 2009)

Although the band is part of the jam-band scene, like Phish and the Grateful Dead (with ever-changing setlists, improvisation, two sets per night, open-taping policy, etc), they are much more influenced musically by progressive rock and jazz rock bands such as King Crimson, Steely Dan, Yes, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Frank Zappa, and Genesis, as well as heavy metal bands such as Iron Maiden. The band also identifies The Police, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin as primary influences. The group has a cult like following. Their especially devoted fans are referred to as "Umphreaks" and have a website and following on Twitter.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh Wow! They are pretty good.

they have cut quite a few albums, too. I got my hands on the 2009 Album "Mantis".

cover-hi_2D00_res.jpg

so far this group is what I would call a musician's musical band. Excellent stuff :)

Fever

Reaction score
I have heard of them but haven't heard their music.But they are coming to town in a few weeks.

Abraxas

Reaction score
Oh Wow! They are pretty good.

they have cut quite a few albums, too. I got my hands on the 2009 Album "Mantis".

cover-hi_2D00_res.jpg

so far this group is what I would call a musician's musical band. Excellent stuff :)

Yay! Another McGee's fan! I see that their Soundstage performance is available on dvd which extra footage and bonuses that was not aired on tv.

How's the Mantis album, Magic? Their Anchor's Down album looks promising. I gotta check more of them out. I find their music to be very inspiring. :grinthumb

Abraxas

Reaction score
I have heard of them but haven't heard their music.But they are coming to town in a few weeks.

Their stuff really cooks. Very creative and mind-boggling. Check em out if you can. I wish they were coming to my town.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
They do a lot of great covers like this one

I know people who have seen them live and they say it's a kick ass show. They mostly do jammy festivals.

runtfan

Reaction score
I've heard of them and had them recommended to me...they sound really good. One thing - they need a really hot singer to put them over the top. Their vocals sound very much like Phish or the Dead - inoffensive but unremarkable. I'd like to see them live.

Abraxas

Reaction score
I forgotten about this thread. I recently bought Anchor Drops and it's great from start to finish.

One of my fave tracks:

The live version is even better with a kickass light show:

I recently ordered myself a copy of Mantis and I can't wait to get it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.