Ugh! Today's definition of "Classic" Rock.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Billy's classic rock meter... "1964-1991" although there are newer bands today that make music with the classic sound "Revolution Saints" , "Gotthard" , "Eclipse", "Moonkings" ,"Greta Van Fleet" etc...

Aero

Reaction score
Ugh, how utterly dreadful! Classic rock is an exclusive club old boy. How far have we fallen when the common riff raff like Men At Work and Howard Jones fall under the elite label of "Classic Rock"?! it' just not cricket.

Men At Work were anything but common riff-raff. They were one of the best pop acts of the 80s and had legitimate talent...unlike the pop acts of today.

RhyeInTheJar

Reaction score
Men At Work were anything but common riff-raff. They were one of the best pop acts of the 80s and had legitimate talent...unlike the pop acts of today.

I know, I was just parodying snobbery. Music is not some exclusive yacht club.

BTW, I had the same music teacher as the lead singer of Men At Work! Although my age gap is substantial with him, she often used to tell us about how her former pupil went on to become a successful pop star. Alas my musical talent then went as far as playing Three Blind Mice on the recorder, until a few decades later when I bought a guitar. And I still suck.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you mentioned pop acts of today as I feel that's a more accurate statement than when people say music of today as though the shitty pop acts are representative of music as a whole. lol

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Reaction score
Ugh, heard another one on the way home last night.

Melt With You - Modern English

Don't get me wrong, I really like this song, but Classic Rock? Um, no <bleeping> way.

Schmetterling

Reaction score
I find most of these radio stations to be like that tbh. Here in the UK we have a few classic rock stations on digital radio and while they DO actually play SOME classic rock, they also play a bunch of crap as standard. I can remember one station in particular which I wont name but whose loudly proclaimed soundbite was "classic album tracks and the best new music", the 'classic album tracks' were without exception just old singles by bands such as those mentioned by the OP....pathetic

Last edited:

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I gave the radio another chance the other day. I got excited because I heard the Rolling Stones start playing but it cut off as it was just part of an ad the station set up.

Then Bon Jovi plays, followed by Poison... I had enough.

I didn't know hair metal bands were considered classic rock. Well, I don't even know if I'd call Bon Jovi metal. Maybe hair pop. What the f**k? If I wanted to listen to something like Bon Jovi...

No, I would NEVER want to listen to Bon Jovi. What a waste of time.

Praise the steadfast aux cable!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wedgebeat

Reaction score
In the early 80's our heavy rock station would play Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Scorpions, Van Halen, Genesis, Yes, David Bowie, ZZ Top etc.and mix it all up with Flock of Seagulls, The Fixx, Soft Cell, Men At Work, Eurythmics, Talking Heads, Psychedelic Furs, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark etc. I found the two ends of the spectrum mixed very well together and it's too bad you don't really hear that kind of mix on classic rock radio.

Aero

Reaction score
In the early 80's our heavy rock station would play Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Scorpions, Van Halen, Genesis, Yes, David Bowie, ZZ Top etc.and mix it all up with Flock of Seagulls, The Fixx, Soft Cell, Men At Work, Eurythmics, Talking Heads, Psychedelic Furs, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark etc. I found the two ends of the spectrum mixed very well together and it's too bad you don't really hear that kind of mix on classic rock radio.

This could be a thread all its own.

One thing all of these 70s/80s bands have in common is that is they all put out quality music. None of these bands were signed by their looks alone.

While I do think it would be strange to hear Flock Of Seagulls mixed in with Ozzy, it does work in an 80s-only format as a lot of people (myself included) have learned to love other genres from 30 years ago that none of us paid attention to before.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I apologize if I rip into the 80s a lot on some of my older posts around this forum. Taste is entirely subjective but I wholeheartedly agree that there are quality acts of each decade and genre...

...Maybe not disco?

I think a station should label itself accordingly based on what music it plays, not just calling it "classic rock" when it is mixing different genres.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online