UFO (official thread)

Sandrix20

Reaction score
Re: UFO - Most Underrated Band of the 1970s?

I'm with you BIG-TIME on the love for Ufo!! Been listening to them a ton lately on account of having picked up Martin Popoff's recent book about them titled "Ufo-Shoot Out The Lights".
It's not a typical tales-of-excess rock biography, but an album-by-album breakdown and examination of their entire recorded output compiled from the author's exhaustive interviews with the band members over the years. Definitely check it out if you really dig these guys.
My favorite album is "Phenomenon", but I love the first three pre-Schenker albums also and have recently began to appreciate the first three post-Schenker albums as well. Very underrated and worth seeking out, although certainly not as amazing as the Schenker stuff.

Big Generator

Reaction score

Sandrix20 said:
I'm with you BIG-TIME on the love for Ufo!! Been listening to them a ton lately on account of having picked up Martin Popoff's recent book about them titled "Ufo-Shoot Out The Lights".
It's not a typical tales-of-excess rock biography, but an album-by-album breakdown and examination of their entire recorded output compiled from the author's exhaustive interviews with the band members over the years. Definitely check it out if you really dig these guys.
My favorite album is "Phenomenon", but I love the first three pre-Schenker albums also and have recently began to appreciate the first three post-Schenker albums as well. Very underrated and worth seeking out, although certainly not as amazing as the Schenker stuff.

I must get hold of this book! Did you get it on Amazon?

Yes - I love the post-Schenker stuff too - especially "No Place To Run"....

Sandrix20

Reaction score

The Ufo book is/was available through Amazon. I received it as an Xmas gift and am pretty sure that's where it was purchased. Popoff's also written similarly styled books on Blue Oyster Cult (great read also!!) and Rainbow (have it, but haven't read it yet), although both of those are a little harder to find. Happy hunting!

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

My mistake about Jason Bonham...he WAS with UFO on their last tour,but now he's playing with Foreigner (without Lou Gramm)

Zrocker

Reaction score

My mistake about Jason Bonham...he WAS with UFO on their last tour,but now he's playing with Foreigner (without Lou Gramm)

LOL I think I started a UFO thread. Or at least thought about it.

The new singer for Forigner was in a band with the new ASIA off shoot drummer. With old ASIA reforming I guess the new ASIA minus (sp? off I know)Jeff Downs will be One or GPS.

Chris Slade is doing or did a project with Pete Way!!! called Damage Control.

I've been making MLM jokes about Ted joining Amway and building up a downline big enough to call Ted-Way.

Perhpas Pete Way could produce the next Deep Purple recording.

Anway--LONG LIVE UFO!!!!

magnoliasteve

Reaction score

My pick for most underrated was Delaney and Bonnie. They were mostly 60's but their hits, Never ending song of love, Only you know and I know and I don't want to discuss it, were all early 70's. They had a big influence on JJ Cale, Eric Claption and Leon Russell and bandmembers Carl Radle and Bobby Whitlock and Jim Gordon went on to become some of the hottest session drummers of the 70's. Great team.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

I've been thinking about this one, and it's very hard for me to come up with a band that I feel strongly about. I would say Utopia (Todd Rundgren's side-project band from '72 through the early 80s--though their lineup didn't solidify until about '76), but I wouldn't say that they're underrated, because they pretty much deserve the accusation that they were unfocused and inconsistant. Of course, for their fans (like myself), that's part of what makes them so much fun!

As for UFO, I regret to say that I've never heard a note of their work! If they're any good at all, then I guess they may well be a very underrated band!

Last edited:

nugentgirl

Reaction score

I just listened to UFO this morning (again, lol) - they are definitely underrated. I have never been able to figure out why. I remember them as Hocus Pocus. The band went through many changes though.

Nevertheless, Rock Bottom, Doctor, Doctor, Only You Can Rock Me are classic hits of theirs. My fav.....
Love To Love. It's an amazing song.

U F O......Love To Love

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online