UFO (official thread)

Big Generator

Reaction score

Has anyone here been touched by the genius of UFO, the UK band who were totally on fire between 1974-1978...and were on the verge of making the big time in the US when Michael Schenker, their teenage prodigy guitarist, went mad...and it all went horribly wrong?

The three Ron Nevison-produced albums in particular - "Lights Out", "Obsession" and the live album "Strangers in the Night" - are three of the best albums of the 1970s, I reckon. Schenker was such a spectacular guitarist - and it's a tragedy that he didn't go on to become as rated or as successful as, say, Eddie Van Halen or any of the other inferior guitarists who went on to make it big in the 80s.

Studio Albums
Any other UFO fans here?

PickAttack

ZIG ZAG MAN
Reaction score
Re: UFO - Most Underrated Band of the 1970s?

Yes, I was fortunate to experience several UFO concerts back in the 70's
and Michael Schenker's flying V metal guitar action (or AXE-shun).
Unbridled metal brutality, up close and personal.

Big Generator

Reaction score

You saw UFO in the 1970s? Am so jealous! By the time I saw them - in '85 and '96 - they were a spent force. I saw Schenker in '83 - but aside from a few inspired moments his playing wasn't nearly as breath-taking as it must have been when you saw him.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

They've got Bonham playing with them now......Jason, that is

PickAttack

ZIG ZAG MAN
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
You saw UFO in the 1970s? Am so jealous! By the time I saw them - in '85 and '96 - they were a spent force. I saw Schenker in '83 - but aside from a few inspired moments his playing wasn't nearly as breath-taking as it must have been when you saw him.

Yeah, the first time was when they opened for Montrose, I was a big Montose
fan and was really hooked after that.
Even after all these years, I remember Schenker wearing all leather, sweatin and playing his ass off, too bad about all the demons and personal issues, the poor dudes ex's have gave him hell.

Big Generator

Reaction score

I know...his last ex ripped off all the equipment from his recording studio.

Anyway...what do you reckon is the best UFO/Schenker album? For me...it's "Obsession".

PickAttack

ZIG ZAG MAN
Reaction score

Big Generator said:
I know...his last ex ripped off all the equipment from his recording studio.

Anyway...what do you reckon is the best UFO/Schenker album? For me...it's "Obsession".

UFO's third album, Phenomenon '74 , I really liked the song "Rock Bottom" on that LP, I think that was UFO's first release with Schenker after he was "stolen" from the Scorpions.
"Obsession" and "Lights out" are up there also.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

I liked them a lot back in the day but for some reason got tired of them. Guess it's time to go listen to them again.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

what's weird for me is how they've just been surgically removed from "Classic Rock" playlists.
I don't know about Radio in YOUR neck of the woods but UFO and Humble Pie and Foghat and others just POOF and they were gone. I almost never hear those bands anymore.

Note to Martha: Radio went to HELL.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Martha Washington said:
what's weird for me is how they've just been surgically removed from "Classic Rock" playlists.
I don't know about Radio in YOUR neck of the woods but UFO and Humble Pie and Foghat and others just POOF and they were gone. I almost never hear those bands anymore.

Note to Martha: Radio went to HELL.
Good point about Foghat and UFO. Humble Pie I hear on my station still. And yes, radio went to hell a long time ago.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online