Register to remove these ads

TV Series

Discussion in 'Movies / Television' started by Ezequiel, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

Weird. I wonder wtf happened.

Speaking of DC, have you watched any of the other DC tv series? Arrow, Gotham, Flash? I loved Green Arrow in the comics, especially when he was teamed up with Green Lantern, but I'm not sure if Arrow stays even remotely true to that character. Never was a very big fan of Flash. I didn't dislike him, but just found him to be kind of boring. Haven't really paid attn to the series. Gotham does interest me and I may start watching that one in the near future.

2. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

speaking of comic characters in a TV series.... I am almost done with S3 of Jessica Jones. Like season 2, it's not great. It started out pretty boring, but picked up about midway through the season. It's also a bit stupid in a lot of spots. I think when it's all said and done, it'll play out better than season 2 did. I think I read somewhere that Luke Cage is supposed to guest star in one of the last couple of episodes. I'm halfway through E11 right now so only 2 more left after this. Once this completes, I'll be starting season 2 of Iron Fist, just to get it over with and also to get it watched before Disney steaming channel starts up this fall. I have a sneaking suspicion that Disney will pull those back and they will no longer be on Netflix.

I'm also about 2/3 of the way through the first season of Lucifer. This is a pretty fun series. It's a bit corny in a lot of places, but it is definitely enjoyable.

3. Sharp Dressed Man

Sharp Dressed Man Down South Jukin' Staff Member

A friend of mine was so persistent about Flash, I checked out a couple of episodes, although he was never a favourite of mine either. I thought it was fine, but not enough for me to continue watching. I've seen a bit of Arrow and it looks decent, I just don't think I'll ever find the time to catch up on 7 seasons - but never say never. Gotham looks decent, but again, that's 5 seasons - dunno if the show is good enough for a binge like that. I'm slightly curious about Titans.

I've already mentioned the show, but you should check out Doom Patrol!

Lynch likes this.
  4. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

Yeah, Doom Patrol is on my list too, but it'll be a while before I get to it.

Sharp Dressed Man likes this.
  5. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

[​IMG]

I'm about 10 episodes into Arrow and I have to say, I was pulled in right from the start.

Loved the character in the comics back in the 70's and 80's. I can't say how true they are to the real origin story as it's been a very long time since I read it. But, that being said, I really am enjoying the modernized version of the tale (so far). I'd rank this up there with Netflix's Daredevil series... possible better.

6. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

Was thinking about this earlier today. I find it really weird how the Marvel Cinematic Universe can do movies SO well and do so such an average job on the Netflix series. I liked just about all of Daredevil and I really liked the Punisher. The first season of Luke Cage wasn't bad, although got a bit preachy for me towards the end of it. Jessica Jones first season was good, but the two that followed were pretty 'meh'. Iron Fist was the one that i was most excited about but was also the biggest letdown. Terrible casting of the lead character and mostly bad writing. The Defenders started decent, but halfway through the season (of only 8 episodes) turned into another "meh" fest.

I only watched the first 3 seasons of Agents of SHIELD, that was pretty well done for network televsion. I never did see any of the Peggy Carter series.

So, on that note:
    MCU movies = Gold - there are some "meh" films in there, but overall, with 24 films, they did a damn good job with having and keeping a vision in check.
    MCU series = more "meh" than good.

ON the flip side, so far with what I'm seeing in Arrow, Warner Brothers is doing a pretty damn good job with their television series. I've heard almost all good reviews about Gotham as well. However, with the exception of The Dark Knight Rises, most of their films have been very underwhelming (IMHO). Batman Begins was ok as a not-even-remotely-close-to-origin story, but wasn't done too bad. The culmination of the film ended pretty lame though. Bale does a good job with Bruce Wayne. I mean, he's nearly perfect as Wayne, but the overacting he does in the Batman costume is cringe-worthy, throughout those three films. The third film was just pure shit to me. They used Bane in such an awful manner. I can't even put to words without going on a profanity-laced tirade how bad that film was on so many levels. The Superman Returns movie with Brandon Routh wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't anything special.

Fast forward to the 2010's when Warner Brothers decided to imitate/copy the MCU with the DCEU (DC Extended Universe) and once again reboot everything. Man of Steel was a pretty good movie, I thought. I know a lot of people ragged on it, but I honestly enjoyed it. I thought that Cavill did a good job in both the Clark Kent and the Superman roles. I'm not saying it was great. I thought that the Zod storyline could have been better, but the overall film was far better than Superman Returns. BvS: Dawn of Justice fell short on too many levels to list. Warner Bros pushed too hard, too fast to get their own Justice League in place after seeing how HUGE The Avengers was and they faltered. Another rebooted Batman/Bruce Wayne and some absolutely dreadful dialogue (do I have to mention the "Martha? Martha? Who is she to you?" dialogue) Cavill was good, again, however Affleck overdid it. Ben CAN be a decent actor and he can also crap the bed. IMHO, he crapped the bed in most of the Batman scenes, was good enough for Wayne though. The odd insertion of Wonder Woman also felt rushed and out of place. I thought that Suicide Squad would be better than it was. They made SUCH a big F'ing deal about Jared Leto's Joker and in my opinion, he was the worst and most overrated part of the whole movie. This film had potential and left me very disappointed. Wonder Woman's first flick was good. I thought that they did a decent job with the origin and bringing her character to light and into the public. One of the very few shining moments in the DCEU.

I haven't seen Justice League, Aquaman or Shazam yet. I wanted to see Aquaman in the theater because it looked like it would be visually stunning, even if the story was wonky. I've heard very mixed reviews on all three of these movies. JL will be my next watch (since it's on HBO now).

So, on that note:
    DCEU movies = average-at-best, trying to copy MCU and failing on many levels.
    DCEU TV series = very good so far. Looking forward to watching more of these.

7. Sharp Dressed Man

Great analysis @Lynch. As mentioned already, I haven't watched every DC series and I'm not all caught up on all the Marvel series (kinda gave up I think), but Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing alone are enough for me to consider DC better as far as TV goes. I think the other series, like Arrow, Gotham etc. also look decent, but time will tell if I ever get around to them. I did watch the first couple of seasons of Supergirl when the show first started. I quite enjoyed it actually, but I didn't keep up and now I'm three seasons behind.

Lynch likes this.
  8. Sharp Dressed Man

Looking forward to these:

Peaky Blinders series 5 - August 25th

Mr. Mercedes season 3 - September 10th

American Horror Story season 9 - September 18th

Nai Noswad likes this.
  9. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

I am waiting for more Snake Island episodes..the La Paz ones..last year they had found a huge cave on a mountain top..and were ready to bust it open...the Dynamite guy makes me laugh.