True Confessions

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Okay, so the shame of the 70s seems to be Disco. Everyone talks about how bad it was, etc. But someone had to like it and listen to it for it to be so popular.

For those of us who were around then, confess, did you like any of it at all? Did you go dancing in disco clubs? Do tell.

I'll start. I really didn't like KC and the Sunshine Band brand of disco. Same thing repeated over and over until I wanted to break the record over the dj's head. However, I did love the Bee Gees and thought Saturday Night Fever was great!

Yes, I went to disco clubs and danced. I even wore platform shoes and didn't break one leg or sprain an ankle in the process.

So, what's your disco confession?

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Well, I guess my "Disco Confession" would be that I think Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" is the greatest single in the history of the world. I used to play a lot of Disco on Jukeboxes. Sure, I did it to annoy people but, looking back, things like "Love Hangover" I guess I really liked all along.

Always liked "Saturday Night Fever" too.
They caught something of the time in the film and I always enjoy it even though I would like to live the rest of my life without hearing "A Fifth of Beethoven" EVER AGAIN!

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
I was also a youngster during the disco days.

I never miss a chance to bust a move to Donna Summer or the like

Hey, I'm a DJ! I gotta please the crowd when it starts to slow down.

I still have some moves for being almost 40!

Wolf

Reaction score
I was 22 in 1978 so I was right in the middle of it at a decent age. I can't remember a night out back then that my friends and me were not sh*tting all over it and making fun of it. Not sure why but I like some of it now.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
I was one of those who hated disco with a passion. To me, it was a betrayal of everything that the 60s stood for. And I NEVER went dancing in one of those clubs. But I will confess that I wish I had the moves when "Stayin' Alive" is on the box. It's the perfect example of a guilty pleasure. :D I love that song.

Spike

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
i never was a disco person... but i *did* like kc & the sunshine band. reminds me of a certain summer in florida with a bunch of cokeheads with guns and vodka.

kath
ya know things had to be freaky when certain parts of yer life imitated fear and loathing...

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
kath said:
i never was a disco person... but i *did* like kc & the sunshine band. reminds me of a certain summer in florida with a bunch of cokeheads with guns and vodka.

kath
ya know things had to be freaky when certain parts of yer life imitated fear and loathing...
LOL Kath, this is scary cause parts of my life imitating Fear and Loathing as well. Ah, college life was grand for me. I'm glad I survived and still have most of my brain cells in tact. :D

Aginghipster

Reaction score
Disco was fun and some of it was quite innovative. Especially Nile Rodgers from Chic who is a genius. Any hatred of disco is clearly racially motivated and homophobic!

DocRock

Vinyl Overlord
Reaction score
.......uhhhhhhhhh..... i have to confess that i dj'd in clubs during that time and liked a lot of what i played...what the real dichotomy about the situation was, was that i was doing afternoon drive on a rock station and did the clubs on the weekends 'cause they paid me well! LOL!... i played the hits to keep the crowd happy (up to 3500 on a friday or saturday night) but rarely ever played the same song twice in an evening, which po'd a lotta folks whom i always told that they could bounce up and kiss my...never mind... some of the stuff was really well done, and i never lay claim to any one genre of music, so some of it suited me quite nicely...some of the stuff i liked was sylvester's "you make me feel(mighty real)" and "dance(disco heat)"...brainstorm's "loving is really my game"....cj & co.'s "devil's gun".....cerrone's "supernature".... the trammps " disco inferno".... don ray's "got to have lovin'"... Santa Esmerelda...and some others i can't think of right now...of course, bein' a good ole Southern boy, i threw in a heap o' funk in there to keep me sane, and since I was playin' IN the South, I never had any complaints.. :p

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.