Trivium (Official Thread)

Harkat

Reaction score
Trivium is an American heavy metal band from Orlando, Florida, formed in 1999. Signed to Roadrunner Records, the band has released four studio albums, eleven singles, and twelve music videos. Their latest album, Shogun was released on September 30, 2008. They are currently expected to release their fifth studio album in the beginning of 2011.

Studio albums:
Ember to Inferno (2003)
Ascendancy (2005)
The Crusade (2006)
Shogun (2008)
In Waves (2011)
Vengeance Falls (2013)
Silence in the Snow (2015)
The Sin and the Sentence (2017)
What The Dead Men Say (2020)
In The Court of the Dragon (2021)

show-trivium.jpg

Musical style:
Trivium cross multiple heavy metal genres such as metalcore, thrash metal, progressive metal, alternative metal, groove metal, and even death metal. Their style has evolved over the years from their earliest work on Ember to Inferno right through to Shogun, there is a clear thrash influence from Metallica and some early In Flames. Trivium has stated that in general they are influenced by musical groups such as Metallica, In Flames, Machine Head, Iron Maiden.

Upon the release of their second album Ascendancy, Trivium were identified as metalcore with strong elements of thrash metal, with the third track on the album “Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr” becoming a permanent fixture in the band's set lists and the rest of the album selling itself to gold status. Ascendancy was even featured as one of Metal Hammer’s Albums of the Decade. Later releases have marked changes in the band, with the release of The Crusade, which was seen as a major shift in musical direction due to the change in vocal style, namely the absence of screaming, and some of the melodies featured.

The Crusade is a much more thrash-oriented album, but lyrical content was also different in direction, citing current affairs, such as the Yates murders and the 1999 Amadou Diallo killing. In Autumn 2008, Trivium released their current album Shogun and have a heavy Japanese influence on its title track as well as the first single release "Kirisute Gomen" which translates authorization to cut and leave. Acknowledging Matt Heafy’s Japanese heritage, the album also was described more favourably as more their own style, as previous references to Trivium sounding like Metallica had been made on the back of The Crusade.

Many of their songs draw lyrical inspiration from different kinds of ancient mythology. Their songs "Into the Mouth of Hell We March" and "Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis", both featured on their album Shogun, talk about the story of Odysseus and how he had to choose between a giant whirlpool, Charybdis, and a giant 6 headed monster known as Scylla.

Ember to Inferno 2003

Ascendancy 2005

The Crusade 2006

Shogun 2008

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Trivium

Very nice OP Harkat...:hab:

Not a fan of theirs though, tried listening to them but I prefer other styles of metal to what they play.

Harkat

Reaction score

Ascendancy is probably the only song of theirs that I listen to xD
The rest haven't struck my fancy =\

Harkat

Reaction score

yea, Im working my way through their albums to see what else is really good in there

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am not much on the "Metal Core" bands as a rule, not trying to go off into the genre debates. For me it's simple and has never changed over 40 years, if I don't like the vocals/vocalist of a band, I won't get into them. Same goes for Avenged Sevenfold, I don't hate on these newer bands, but just find many other bands I like much more generally speaking.

I stopped by mainly to compliment you on your OP Harkat, nicely done.:tup:

Harkat

Reaction score

Thanks LG
As for OP's, it can only get better xD

As I said earlier, I will go through their albums and find some gems

Harkat

Reaction score

I have gone through their first 2 albums. I have found 3 good songs in Ascendancy and a 4th song will sum up the rest of the songs in Ascendancy and Ember to Inferno

Best So Far (Best To Third Best IMO):

The Rest:

I will listen to the rest of their albums now ^^

Harkat

Reaction score

The Shogun album is quite good!
I am quite impressed actually :grinthumb
Shogun
Trivium_-_Shogun.jpg
You can tell they have sat down and put some variety into it.
"Work on the album is noted to have begun with producer Nick Raskulinecz in October 2007, with the band stating that they chose not to work with Jason Suecof again as they wanted to explore new ideas."

"The group did not want to make an album where all songs had the same singing style, like in The Crusade, and decided to just let their music flow naturally and unbiased. Unlike The Crusade which had some songs focusing on famous and controversial murders/crimes, this album has a few songs that deal with ancient Japanese/Greek Mythology. The songs usually have hidden meanings which are to be interpreted by the listener. Themes based on the stories of Prometheus's punishment, Sea monsters Scylla and Charybdis, the voyages of Odysseus in "Into the Mouth of Hell We March", Cronus eating his children in "He Who Spawned The Furies," and the nymph Callisto are present."

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online