Trivia

runtfan

Reaction score
Orion said:
Q. To what Dutch hard rock group did the following members belong?

Rinus Gerritsen
Barry Hay
George Kooymans
Cesar Zuiderwijk

Golden Earring?

runtfan

Reaction score
OK, this is a little off the beaten path, but just go with it.

The original lineup of this 70's fusion supergroup featured 5 members,all of different nationalities.
Name the band, the members, and their nationalities.

Orion

I'm A Member
Reaction score
I'm gunna guess Supertramp but I can't name the members and nationalities. Don't give up people. I'm justa guessing. :D

runtfan

Reaction score
Yep, you got it!

John McLaughlin - England
Jan Hammer - Chekoslovakia
Jerry Goodman - U.S.
Ric Laird - Ireland
Billy Cobham - Panama

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
runtfan said:
Yep, you got it!

John McLaughlin - England
Jan Hammer - Chekoslovakia
Jerry Goodman - U.S.
Ric Laird - Ireland
Billy Cobham - Panama

I went to see Mahavishnu Orchestra in San Diego around '73-'74 knowing that they were all highly respected, monster players. It was when he had an extra big band, maybe 7-8 pieces.

I had to force myself to sit there listening for an hour of the most grueling, & to my ears, atonal scale exercises...al the while telling myself, as an aspiring musician, I should be enjoying myself.

I finally couldn't take it anymore, & walked out of the concert before they finished.

I guess it was my own shortcomings, but I could not get into that band's music.

Yet I very much like guys like Jeff Beck & Jan Hammer & Jean Luc Ponty & Gabor Szabo...

Throw out another 1 Runt. :grinthumb

Last edited:

runtfan

Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda know what you mean about Mahavishnu Orchestra...they tended to get pretty...obtuse, let's say. Incredible musicians, but pretty hit and miss with their output. I think the original lineup is, man for man, the most impressive, but that lineup never did anything as interesting as "Visions Of The Emerald Beyond" ,which was a completely different lineup.
As far as 70's fusion bands go they were more impressive on paper than on their albums (at least taken as a whole) and apparently in concert also. Return To Forever and Weather Report are much more listenable.

OK, here's an easy one...

What do these bands have in common?...Emerson,Lake, & Palmer,Bad Company,U.K.,Asia, Peter Gabriel,Liquid Tension Experiment

Orion

I'm A Member
Reaction score
runtfan said:
OK, here's an easy one...

What do these bands have in common?...Emerson,Lake, & Palmer,Bad Company,U.K.,Asia, Peter Gabriel,Liquid Tension Experiment

Not so easy mate :D

Either they all played with the London Symphony Orchestra or Tony Levin but then again who hasn't :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online