Triumph (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Triumph

Triumph Official Website

Discography

By the late summer of 1978 I had been to only 3 concerts in my life: Aerosmith w/ AC/DC, Cheap Trick w/ 1994, & of course my first & probably favorite concert of all-time… Kiss. I could not believe the show Kiss put on & I was amazed with all of the flash pods, dry ice, & other pyro that Kiss used in their explosive show. Anyway, one day late that summer I was walking through the mall & as I walked into the record shop I saw Triumph’s ‘Rock & Roll Machine’ record album on display (I can’t find a picture of that particular cover anywhere to show). The cover photo of the trio performing on a stage full of amplifiers, smoke, & flash pods blew me away. I immediately thought of the Kiss show I had seen eight months earlier & soon after I purchased the album. I later found out that the American version of the album was different than the Canadian version. In Canada, Triumph had 2 releases: their S/T debut & ‘Rock & Roll Machine’ while the American version of ‘Rock & Roll Machine’ was a combination of songs from the two Canadian releases. I loved ‘Rock & Roll Machine’ from the first time the needle hit the groove on the opening Kick-ass tune “Takes Time” through the closing rocker title track.
The whole album felt like one big rock & roll party & still does to this date. Songs like “24 Hours a Day”, “The Blinding Light Show”, & “Rock & Roll Machine” all gave the feeling that you are actually at a concert with cigarette lighters blazing in each hand. That December Triumph played at a 3000 seat hall & I was there about 10 rows from the stage. The show was even more explosive than what I imagined. “Blinding Light Show” was a perfect description of the concert.

The Blinding Light Show

Rock And Roll Machine

One year later Triumph released the fantastic ‘Just a Game’ album. ‘Just a Game’ took the band to a new level & direction. The album still had it’s in your face rock & roll with tunes like “American Girls” & “Movin’ On” but it also premiered a new direction which would cause Triumph to be a household name on Classic Rock Radio. Those tunes are “Lay it on the Line”, “Just a Game”, & “Hold On” which all three songs started out with soft guitars & beautiful vocals by guitarist Rik Emmett before kicking in with an almost progressive hard rock feel. Again, I caught Triumph live & this time was just as good if not better than the first time I saw them. Rik Emmett is a fantastic guitarist & the control he has over the crowd with just his guitar work is astounding. The rhythm section of Gil Moore (drums & vocals) & Mike Levine (Bass) screams out Rock & Roll.

Lay It On The Line

Hold On

Triumph was still going strong in 1980 & 1981 with 2 great rocking albums “Progressions of Power” & “Allied Forces”. Both albums kept the Rock Roll Machine party atmosphere rolling with songs like “I Live For the Weekend”, “Allied Forces”, “Tear the Roof Off”, “Allied Forces”, “Hot Time in the City Tonight”, “Fool For Your Love” & the phenomenal “Natures Child”. Rik showcased some great acoustic skills with “Petite Etude”, “Finger Talking”, & also from (‘Just a Game’) “Fantasy Serenade” & all 3 songs are each under 2 minutes. These 2 albums also added more Classic Rock Radio classics with “I Can Survive”, “Fight the Good Fight”, & “Magic Power”(which also was getting plenty of airplay on the new video channel MTV).

Magic Power

Nature's Child

1983 brought us “Never Surrender” which reached number 26 on the Billboard charts. The album was another step in the progressive/hard rock genre for the band. This is album is fantastic all the way through. The opening tune “Too Much Thinking” rocks the house along with the inspirational “All the Way” & “Never Surrender”. “World of Fantasy” is just a fantastic progressive piece of music. My favorite track on the album is “When the Lights go Down” which starts off with a bit of acoustic blues before kicking into a cool bluesy rock classic.

When The Lights Go Down

Never Surrender

“Never Surrender” was Triumph at it’s peak but the band did stick around for 3 more decent studio albums: ‘Thunder Seven’ (which featured the fantastic “Spellbound”), ‘Sport of Kings’(featured the MTV hit “Somebody’s Out there”), & ‘Surveillance’. They also released a live album called ‘Stages’ which was a good but not great live record. Rick Santers was added as a second guitarist & keyboardist between ’84 & ’93.

Spellbound

By 1988 Emmett was done with Triumph & embarked in a solo career which has had a few good releases but is nothing compared to his work with Triumph. Mike Levine & Gil Moore added Phil Xenidis (Phil X) (who previously worked with Aldo Nova) to the line up & released ‘Edge of Excess’ in 1993 which I felt was a good album. Just as the album was picking up the record company ‘Victory Records’ dissolved & so did Triumph.

Child Of The City

Triumph reunited in 2008 with Rik, Mike, & Gil at the Sweden Rock Festival & there is a strong vibe that Triumph will do a Canadian only tour in 2010. I would highly recommend those first 2 Canadian releases, Just a Game, Progressions of Power, & Never Surrender

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Triumph

Here's the cover for my only Triumph CD, I owned 4 of their albums on vinyl, but only replaced this one on CD. I have this one in my top 50 albums, one of the best pure hard rock trio's of their time. Saw them live on their "Allied Forces" tour, and their is no doubt they borrowed a lot from Kiss's live show, great pyrotechnics and explosions, and Rik Emmet is a Fantastic guitarist he played an amazing solo that I'll never forget.

Last edited:

Reaction score

I have their discography downloaded, Rock n Roll Machine is my favorite ;)
US Festival was pretty incredible wouldn't you say?:tongue:
Removed dead videos

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Triumph is a goodie !

I have this album from 1983 in vinyl:

17590.jpg

"Never Surrender" has been posted

But you guys should hear some of their less popular stuff:

Battle Cry

A World of Fantasy

rtbuck

Reaction score

I just listened to Never Surrender in it's entirety & that whole album is fantastic. I'm still partial to "When the Lights Go Down" & "Too Much Thinking" but those lesser known songs Magic listed & "All the Way" & "Writing on the Wall" make this a very strong album with no weak tracks

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

HI five that, Bucky!

I really like this album. I have two other albums, too, but Never Surrender is the best, IMO.

I have Just a Game as well as Allied Forces

Triumph_Just_a_Game.jpg

Triumph_Allied_Forces.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Those are all decent, but nothing compares to Rock 'n Roll Machine, it is their masterpiece.:bow:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I like that album too, LG, because of the song Rocky Mountain Way.

The world wide release is different from what got released in canada, and if I could get my hands on the canada version....I would agree with you wholeheartedly :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online