Traveling Wilburys (Official Thread)

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Re: Traveling Wilburys

there's some pretty good songs on here but overall i just never really got into the Traveling Wilburys

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I love the Wilburys, I only have one album, have heard all 3? or is there one more?... I can never remember, I even like Dylan's work with this group:bonk:
Certainly my favorite supergroup of all time:grinthumb:tongue:

Only two albums Vol 1 and Vol. 3. It's George Harrison's joke. He said, 'Let's confuse the buggers.'

Reaction score

Only two albums Vol 1 and Vol. 3. It's George Harrison's joke. He said, 'Let's confuse the buggers.'

Well, guess I'm the "bugger" he confused:heheh:
they have a greatest hits too, that's where I got the 3 albums from and couldn't remember if there was a volume 2 or not....

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The Wilbury's: (Volume 1)

Nelson Wilbury - George Harrison
Otis Wilbury - Jeff Lynne
Lefty Wilbury - Roy Orbison
Charlie T. Wilbury Jr. - Tom Petty
Lucky Wilbury - Bob Dylan

and the Wilbury's after Orbison passed on: (Volume 3)

Spike Wilbury - George Harrison
Clayton Wilbury - Jeff Lynne
Muddy Wilbury - Tom Petty
Boo Wilbury - Bob Dylan

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Well, guess I'm the "bugger" he confused:heheh:
they have a greatest hits too, that's where I got the 3 albums from and couldn't remember if there was a volume 2 or not....

There was a bootleg called "Volume 2" that people released, but it's never been proven that's it's even the Wilburys on there.

Many people think Volume 2 could be either Petty's "Full Moon Fever" or Orbison's "Mystery Girl" as both featured fellow Wilburys prominently.

But yeah, the only Wilbury releases where "Vol 1", "Vol 3" and the 2008 box set

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Many people think Volume 2 could be either Petty's "Full Moon Fever" or Orbison's "Mystery Girl" as both featured fellow Wilburys prominently.

Not true. The only common denominator throughout both albums is Jeff Lynne. Jeff produced both albums and played guitar as well. On "Full Moon Fever", the songwriting was mainly collaborations between Petty and Jeff Lynne. Tom asked Jeff to produce his album in 1987 after hearing Harrison's Cloud Nine, produced by Jeff. The idea of the Wilburys was born in mid-1988. The album is rich with Jeff's lush mix of instruments, which is absent in the stripped down Wilbury's albums. The other main players on FMF were Mike Campbell and Phil Jones. George played acoustic on "I Won't Back Down" and that's it; Roy Orbison sang backing vocals on "Zombie Zoo" as part of a group jokingly called "Trembling Tremblers". Other artists on that album are Del Shannon, Jim Keltner, and Howie Epstein. Not a Wilbury combination.

Mystery Girl was recorded in late 1988, at the same time as Wilbury's volume 1. It was released only in 1989 because Roy died in the meantime. Jeff co-wrote three songs. The core personnel on that album are Roy and Jeff. Tom plays acoustic guitar and sings backing vocals on only two songs. George sings backing vocals on one song. Others rest are Mike Campbell, Jim Keltner, Howie Epstein and Benmont Tench and about 20 other guest performances. Again, not a Wilbury combination.

The Wilburys were a true collaborative effort. Everybody sang, everybody wrote, everybody produced - and had great fun doing so. They were friends in real life. That is what makes the Wilburys so unique.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Not true. The only common denominator throughout both albums is Jeff Lynne. Jeff produced both albums and played guitar as well. On "Full Moon Fever", the songwriting was mainly collaborations between Petty and Jeff Lynne. Tom asked Jeff to produce his album in 1987 after hearing Harrison's Cloud Nine, produced by Jeff. The idea of the Wilburys was born in mid-1988. The album is rich with Jeff's lush mix of instruments, which is absent in the stripped down Wilbury's albums. The other main players on FMF were Mike Campbell and Phil Jones. George played acoustic on "I Won't Back Down" and that's it; Roy Orbison sang backing vocals on "Zombie Zoo" as part of a group jokingly called "Trembling Tremblers". Other artists on that album are Del Shannon, Jim Keltner, and Howie Epstein. Not a Wilbury combination.

Mystery Girl was recorded in late 1988, at the same time as Wilbury's volume 1. It was released only in 1989 because Roy died in the meantime. Jeff co-wrote three songs. The core personnel on that album are Roy and Jeff. Tom plays acoustic guitar and sings backing vocals on only two songs. George sings backing vocals on one song. Others rest are Mike Campbell, Jim Keltner, Howie Epstein and Benmont Tench and about 20 other guest performances. Again, not a Wilbury combination.

The Wilburys were a true collaborative effort. Everybody sang, everybody wrote, everybody produced - and had great fun doing so. They were friends in real life. That is what makes the Wilburys so unique.

As I said, I don't agree with them, but they were the accepted reasons at the time, as the general public seemed to think that everything needed a numerical order. George obviously disagreed, and I tend to accept the Wilburys explaination of just confusing the buggers. I was just mentioning the theories off-hand that the Wilburys themselves thought of them as "unofficial" projects, as they featured at least 3/5 of the Wilburys just as a little trivia ;)

Oh, and you keep mentioning Keltner as a non-Wilbury... you are aware that he was the Wilbury drummer on both albums, are you?

And Del Shannon was offered a spot as the 5th Wilbury after Roy's unfortunate passing... unfortunately, Shannon himself passed away before he'd had the chance to work something out with that. Gary Moore was also reportedly offered a spot, but only appears on one track (lead guitar on "She's My Baby")

Anyway, enough Wilbury trivia for me for tonight :D

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Rumors. When Roy passed away at the close of 1988, rumor had it that the Wilburys nearly asked Del Shannon to take Roy’s place for Volume 3, but Tom Petty has denied this.

By the way, at one point the first Wilburys album, “Mystery Girl,” and “Full Moon Fever” were in the top 10 at the same time.

Jim Keltner aka Buster Sidebury (drums), Jim Horn (saxophones), and Ray Cooper (percussion) were honorary Wilburys. Keltner is a session drummer who has played with The Beatles and just about every other artist you can think of. I was talking about the core group who were also good friends before they formed the band.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am staying out of this one guys...:heheh:

I now know more about the Wilbury's than before Feldy posted his thread, thanks everyone, but especially our resident Metal Queen, Annie.:tup:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I am staying out of this one guys...:heheh:

I now know more about the Wilbury's than before Feldy posted his thread, thanks everyone, but especially our resident Metal Queen, Annie.:tup:

Thank you my Lord. I guess being a member of several ELO forums for over 10 years can be useful sometimes.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online