Transatlantic (Official Thread)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I'm surprised we didn't already have a thread for these guys!

transatlantic2009.jpg

Official Website

SMPT(2000)
Bridge Across Forever (2001)
The Whirlwind (2009)
Kaleidoscope (2014)

Transatlantic are a prog supergroup, consisting of Neal Morse from Spock's Beard, Roine Stolt from Kaipa and The Flower Kings, Pete Trewavas from Marillion and Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater. Active between two periods, 1999 - 2002 and 2009 - present, Transatlantic have recorded 3 albums of grand, obnoxious and over the top prog.

The debut was released in 2000, titled "SMPT:e"

41ASK1D4ERL.jpg

Second was 2001's "Bridge Across Forever"

cover_5559819112009.jpg

And my personal favourite is the most recent, 2009's "The Whirlwind".

cover_45362982009.jpg

One 120 minute song in 12 acts, it's glorious music with a huge sound. Trewavas owns the bass throughout the album, Portnoy is as good as ever, Morse's versatile voice complements the music perfectly and there are some tasty riffs and solos from Roine Stolt :grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I've actually heard of this band. Last.FM plays them when I listen to the prog station. Most of what i've heard was from the The Whirlwind release. And I really got interested in these guys after that once I noticed that Portnoy was part of it. The members of this particular super group were pretty incredible together.

joe

Reaction score
The band is coming out with a boxset complition at the end of the month. All great albums with Bridge Across Forever being my fav.

Sue Nami

Reaction score
This band has been described as sounding like Yes jamming with the Beatles. This band has it all. All the top names from prog's bests!

Neal Morse from The L.A. Outfit, Spocks Beard, takes over the lead vocals, keyboards and some guitar. The Mighty Mike Portnoy, of New York's Dream Theater plays drums; Pete Trewavas, of England's Marillion, plays Bass, and Roine Stolt of Sweden's The Flower Kings plays guitar ad takes some lead vocals.

The vocals are shared by everyone in the band.

This band brings with it four incredible musicians, each with there own background and influences.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Just bumping to say that I'm still really enjoying The Whirlwind. After a long time of not listening, I loaded up a live performance a few hours before I left my last home and enjoyed it so much I've been listening regularly since. All four members are so in tune with each other, and the instrumental passages are out of this world. The Whirlwind is quickly becoming one of my all time favourite albums! :grinthumb

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Transatlantic in concert - AWESOME:woot:
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind Full (Live From Shepherd's Bush Empire, London)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
so am IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

:pullhair: :woot: just found thread to this IMHO greatest supergroup PROG Band ...

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online