Trampled By Turtles: Ass, Gas, or Bluegrass. Nobody Rides For Free!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
trampledbyturtles.png

Trampled by Turtles are an American bluegrass band from Duluth, Minnesota and I have read people who describe them as "alternative bluegrass", "progressive bluegrass", "indie bluegrass" and other genres stuck in front of the word "bluegrass" to make them sound more young and hip than your average bluegrass band. ;)

They've been around for close to a decade but it wasn't until the release of their last album "Palomino" that they gained wide audience and as of right now it has spent over a full year within the top 10 of the Billboard Bluegrass charts (a chart that I didn't even know existed until I visited the band's site and read of that accomplishment), peaking at #1 on there and #11 on Heatseeker.

Musically they make use of all of your standard folk and bluegrass instruments, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, harmonica, violin/fiddle, mandolin, and but of course the banjo. They frequently solo with all of these instruments and are most known for their fast tempo songs and energenic live performances.

Wait So Long

This song was included on a SPIN magazine sample I bought last month and immediately jumped out as the best song out of the 32. The violin playing is absolutely fierce.

Victory

A bit more of a traditional bluegrass song with a really cool video.

Mad World (Live)

And a live cover of "Mad World", probably more from Gary Jules than Tears For Fears.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
hillbilly.gif

I have a friend who just loves this group. I am not a huge bluegrass fan, but I sure do love to go to bluegrass festivals!!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Does the moonshine make bluegrass festivals better? :D

And I just ordered their "Palomino" album last night by the way. I'll be back with more on it when it gets here in a couple days. ;)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It would be really awesome if you could upload some of that album on youtube. This group does have a modern twist to bluegrass, and I would sure enjoy hearing the new album :)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
It would be really awesome if you could upload some of that album on youtube. This group does have a modern twist to bluegrass, and I would sure enjoy hearing the new album :)

Some of the songs are already on Youtube but my copy just came in the mail today so I'll give it a good few listens and get back to all of you on which songs I think are best on it. :D

Love the first song, looking into these guys deeper...
Think I'll start with w/ Live at Luce.

Glad you like what you hear, DKW. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm liking the first song, the one you recommended more and more Cosmic and I like these guys. At first I was like "ummm o.k., I like modern folk but this is way on the Bluegrass side!" :heheh: Then as I listen more the melodies are very pop and they are more along the lines of Mumford and Sons which I do like. The strumming of the banjos will always be more of a trait for you while I'm more towards folk acoustics from the traditional guitar but I do like it more with the new groups coming out! :grinthumb So all in all Cosmic you did reach me again with this group! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I sure am turning you onto a lot of new bands lately, huh Sooty? :heheh: I'm glad you're settling more into their music though because I knew you'd like them. :D And you're right, the banjo is more of a thing or me than you (time has proven that) but the acoustic guitar (bass or otherwise) makes up the backbone of Trampled By Turtles' music. The banjo, mandolin, and fiddle make up the frills and the more I hear the more I believe the fiddle player is the strongest musician in the group. :good

And as promised here are a couple of my favorites off of "Palomino" now that I've had some time to soak it in. I picked an fast song an a slow song. ;)

It's A War

A really uptempo song.

Bloodshot Eyes

A much slower song with some Bob Dylan/"Piano Man" like harmonica and lyrics that tell a pretty nice story.

Also there are some really good instrumentals like "New Son/Burnt Iron" and "Sound Like A Movie" but those aren't on Youtube (I might put them up myself). They're like....the Pantera of bluegrass songs, particularly the latter. :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
How about this? Trampled By Turtles does a classic Pixies song...

Where Is My Mind

It seems odd that a bluegrass band would cover an iconic song in seminal grunge but I'm honest impressed by it. :grinthumb

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread! Never heard of these guys...I like it. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online