Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Official "Train" Thread

Never heard of them before Flower.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I like a lot of Train! I really loved Pat Monahans solo effort! I will edit in more of a detailed response later! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I like Train. They are a great alternative rock band that has some country groove influence.

Train_My_Private_Nation.png

My Private Nation released in 2003.

Patrick Monahan is very charismatic and a great singer!

Calling All Angels

Get To Me

Flower

retired
Reaction score

Train (band)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Origin San Francisco, California, U.S.
Genres Alternative Rock
Country Rock
Roots Rock
Years active 1994–present
Labels Columbia, Aware
Website The Official Train Site

Members
Patrick Monahan
Scott Underwood
Jimmy Stafford
Former members
Rob Hotchkiss
Charlie Colin
Brandon Bush
Johnny Colt

Train is an American rock band from San Francisco, California, formed in 1994. The band currently comprises a core trio of Patrick Monahan (lead vocalist), Jimmy Stafford (guitar) and Scott Underwood (drummer).

Train achieved mainstream success with their debut album, Train, which was released in 1998. Their second album, Drops of Jupiter (2001) brought the band massive popularity. The lead single from the album, "Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)", was an international hit and won two Grammy Awards in 2002. The album was certified double platinum in the United States and Canada and remains the band's best-selling album to date.

Their third studio album, My Private Nation, released in 2003, continued the band's success, and was certified platinum in the United States. The band released their fourth album, For Me, It's You in 2006. Despite a generally positive reception from critics, the album was commercially unsuccessful. Train then went on a three-year hiatus.

Train re-united and released their latest album, Save Me San Francisco in 2009. The first single from the album, "Hey, Soul Sister" became the band's most successful single in their career, charting in the top three on the Billboard Hot 100 and reaching the top ten in several other countries.

History

Formation and early years (1994–98)

Following the dissolution of his Led Zeppelin cover band, singer Pat Monahan left his hometown of Erie, PA, in late 1993. He resettled in California and crossed paths with Rob Hotchkiss, who performed in coffee houses and local clubs. Monahan did lead vocals, and Hotchkiss was backing vocals and guitar. Hotchkiss had been the lead singer for LA based "Apostles." After deciding to form a full band, the duo recruited Jimmy Stafford on guitar/ukulele, Charlie Colin on bass and, at a later date, Scott Underwood as drummer, thus solidifying Train's lineup in 1994. Train attempted to get signed under Columbia Records in 1996, but were rejected. After being rejected, the band decided to release its first self-entitled CD independently. By 1997, they were touring nationally, opening concerts for bands such as Barenaked Ladies, Hootie & the Blowfish, Cracker and Counting Crows.

Train (1998–99)

The album was released on February 24, 1998, with a different track listing than its independent counterpart, and was self-produced for $25,000 and three singles from the album were released. The first single released, "Free", was largely a hit on rock stations. The second single, "Meet Virginia" was a top 20 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #15, and the third single was "I Am". The album brought the band national fame, and was certified platinum by the RIAA. Following the success of their debut album, the band began working on their sophomore album.

Drops of Jupiter (2000–02)
"Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)"

"Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)" was the first single from Drops of Jupiter (2001), and arguably Train's most popular song.

Drops of Jupiter, the band's second album, was produced by Brendan O' Brien who had previously worked for artists such as Pearl Jam, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young. Before the release of their second album, the band released the single "Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)". The song was a massive hit; it entered the Hot 100 on March 10, 2001, and spent over a year on the chart (53 weeks) before being relegated to the recurrents chart. The song won a Grammy Award for Best Rock Song, as well as a Grammy Award for Best Arrangement.

The album Drops of Jupiter was released on March 27, 2001, and became Train's first multi-platinum album, with the success of the lead single. The album was Train's first top 10 album, peaking at number 6 on the Billboard 200. The album was also a top 10 hit in the United Kingdom, where it peaked at number 8. "She's on Fire", the second single from Drops of Jupiter was a modest success and was featured in the 2001 comedy The Animal. The album was eventually certified double platinum in the United States and in Canada. It was also certified gold in Australia.

The meaning behind Drops of Jupiter: Lead singer Patrick Monahan's mother died in 1998, unable to get over her loss, and out of a rut that prevented his music from touching the soul, he woke up one morning and started writing. Drops of Jupiter is a dedicated to his mother and finally started his healing process that day in 2001 when they won a grammy for it.

During the Drops of Jupiter tour, the band released a live DVD of a sold out concert in the band's hometown of San Francisco at The Warfield. The DVD was titled "Midnight Moon" and featured Train's hits from the first two albums among others. The concert was recorded on May 21, 2001.

In 2002, founder Rob Hotchkiss left the band to pursue a solo career, after having contributed to 6 of the 11 songs on the upcoming album My Private Nation. Train was chosen to do a cover of Aerosmith's classic rock song "Dream On" on an episode of the MTV show, Icon that was dedicated to Aerosmith

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Train's Debut:

Train_Train.jpg

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

I'm a fan of Train. "Drops of Jupiter" would rank right up there with best songs of the '00s in my mind :)

I like the newest album by them :grinthumb

save_me_san_francisco_cover_art.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online