Toyah (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Fronting a band known as Toyah, her singing career was slow to take off and the band released six singles in the UK before finally hitting the charts in 1981, with "It's a Mystery." This was followed by several other huge hits including "Thunder In The Mountains" and "I Want to Be Free." These singles were also successful on an international level. In the early eighties, Toyah also had her own successful make-up range called 'Soul Searches'.

In 1982, she was voted Best Female Singer at the British Rock and Pop Awards — since restyled as The BRIT Awards, or "BRITs" — and in 1986 she married UK guitarist Robert Fripp. She was one of the first acts to score regularly in the UK Singles Chart with EPs. Also in 1986, Willcox sang lead on the Tony Banks track "Lion of Symmetry." In 1987 she made the top fifty with her version of "Echo Beach."

Toyah has released 30 albums (both as a solo artist, and part of groups), 22 of which have been studio albums, 7 of which have been UK Top 40 successes. She has 13 UK top 40 singles, making her one of the most successful female artists in British history.

In 2001, 'Q' magazine named Toyah number 48 in their top 100 Greatest Women in Music poll, as voted for by readers of the magazine.

In 2009, Toyah came 7th in a BBC series naming the 'Queens of British Pop,' as voted for by the British Public.

In 2010, Toyah will perform with her band 'The Humans' at the London Roundhouse 'Haiti Earthquake Fundraiser' concert. She will also be performing both as a solo artist and as part of 'The Humans' on various dates across the UK.

Toyah's acting career began with the Old Rep Drama School in Birmingham and her theatre career includes Shakespeare plays and other productions such as Tales from the Vienna Woods at the National Theatre and in Trafford Tanzi at the Mermaid Theatre. She has played Calamity Jane at the Shaftesbury Theatre and was a guest vocalist in the anniversary tour of The Rocky Horror Show at the Royal Court Theatre. In 1990 she played Costanza in the national tour of Amadeus. She is currently (11th December 2009 to 10th January 2010), in pantomime playing Queen Ivannah in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the Lyceum in Sheffield.

She has starred in a number of feature films including Jubilee and Quadrophenia and has had many television roles, including series such as Quatermass (1979) and Minder. In 1984 she starred opposite Laurence Olivier in The Ebony Tower and the same year, opposite Katharine Hepburn in the made-for-television movie The Corn is Green, directed by George Cukor. She has also appeared on Kavanagh QC and Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

She has also appeared as a presenter of programmes such as Songs of Praise, Holiday (BBC), and Good Sex Guide Late as well as being a guest on several shows such as The Heaven and Earth Show, Through the Keyhole and Loose Women.

In 1999, she took the lead in the children's television series Barmy Aunt Boomerang. She also provided the voices for the children's television programmes Teletubbies and Brum.

She has also appeared in the reality television series I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! and I'm Famous and Frightened!.

Toyah is married to Robert Fripp (since 1996) of King Crimson fame!!

Toyah (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TOYAH - The Official Toyah Willcox Website

Albums as Toyah (Band):

Sheep Farming In Barnet
The Blue Meaning
Toyah! Toyah! Toyah! Live
Anthem
The Changeling
Warrior Rock Toyah On Tour
Love Is The Law
Mayhem
Minx
Desire
Prostitute
Ophelia's Shadow
Take The Leap
Dreamchild
Looking Back
The Acoustic Album
Velvet Lined Shell
In The Court Of The Crimson Queen
The Safari Singles Collection Volume 1
The Safari Singles Collection Volume 2

Angels and Demons

I want to be free

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Re: Toyah

Yeah, she was pretty big for a while but then dropped off the (album/band) radar entirely. Had an uncle who was very much into her and I listened to her albums back then. Not bad at all. And she was hot :blush:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I Must admit i wrongly dismissed TOYAH as a hyped up overdressed 80s popstar. I hated the " i want to be free "+"its a mystery" singles, besides there was SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES who were a lot more inspiring at the time. But i was WRONG! I was played one of her albums one day by a freind and told him "...actually this is rather good!!" Now I own 5 or 6 albums........The "Sheep farming in Barnet" album is a must!!!

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I'd not seen hide nor hair of Toyah for years then in the last few years she's been popping up on paranormal tv programmes, either ghosthunting or talking about the supernatural and scary experiences.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Never heard of Toyah before, kind of cool she is married to Robert Fripp, him I do Know.:D

Her music is okay, not something I listen to very often though, not a big pop rock fan as a rule. And talk about talented in more than just music, she seems to succeed at everything she is involved with.

Still nice thread Sweaty, your musical knowledge and contributions here have been nothing but first class, thank you.:hab:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Heres one of my favourite TOYAH tracks.Great to see this video....shes lovely with her pink hair.....very sci fi..very bowie :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

queen300.jpg

In the Court of the Crimson Queen (2008)

Lesser God

Sensational

Bryter Later

Reaction score

I remember watching a concert of Toyah' in the early 80s,and was impressed. I am thinking of adding the Warrior Rock cd to my collection? Is it any good ?.

:cheers2 Bryter.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online