Recording Artist
Reaction score
TOTO
Falling In Between (2006)
Frontiers Records

For the Genre: ****- (4/5)
Compared to the Era: ***** (5/5)

Summary: Hidden treasures within every track

Recorded in my backyard of Sherman Oaks, California throughout 2005, “Falling In Between” is what happens when you take six legendary musical performers and composers with combined experience exceeding one-hundred twenty years. Rich percussion, textured guitar work, nuanced bass lines with excellent keyboards blending piano, organ, synthesizer pads and more executing brilliant fusion jazz rock son structures and melody, and supporting gorgeous vocal stacks. Some songs are a little more accessible than others but the listener’s patience is well rewarded. The exquisite art on the part of Jim Evans and the shimmering mastering by Steve MacMillan were a thick layer of icing on the cake.

There is no mistaking the signature vocals of Steve Lukather and Bobby Kimball on this record, but we are treated to the lead singing talent of keyboardist Greg Phillinganes on the two best tracks on the CD: King of the World and Let It Go. However, nobody’s going to out-do Bobby, who lights it up on Falling in Between, a dark and intense rock song with a progressive tendencies and classic Toto rhythm. This song earned multiple plays daily during my first week of owning the record. As did, “Hooked,” a track with so much funk and attitude, it was hard to believe.

This CD was so refreshing because it came together the way many of the great fusion rock and jazz records of the 1970s was recorded, by real musicians during numerous sessions in the studio, featuring mature song construction. Dying On My Feet, which gets off to a slow start, really delivers the goods. Chicago’s James Pankow contributes an outstanding horn section for the end of this song, one of the many awesome contributions made by members of Chicago.

Not every track is a winner, but this CD has so many buried treasures through most of the tracks that someone is bound to find something they’ll love somewhere on this release. Make no mistake, “Falling In Between” is not re-hash, or sounds like a weak attempt at recapturing the stellar work off of their fame-maker record “Toto IV.” This record stands on its own as an incredibly strong product, and much better than the vast majority of chart topping releases that debuted in 2006.

Mr. T

Reaction score
Re: [REVIEW]: Falling In Between (2006) by Toto

Excellent, excellent album! In fact I was listening to it earlier today (proof is in the What Are You Listening To? thread lol). It is in my regular rotation... best thing in their catalog IMO.

Very nice review!! :cheers2

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score

Excellent, excellent album! In fact I was listening to it earlier today (proof is in the What Are You Listening To? thread lol). It is in my regular rotation... best thing in their catalog IMO.

Very nice review!! :cheers2

Thank you! I, in fact, did not notice the "What Are You Listening To?" thread. I want to spend more time on it, though, because I am discovering a lot of music that way. After I wrote my review, I was trying to track down additional reviews elsewhere on the record and, honestly, this CD did not get the attention it deserved outside of Europe. You are right when you say this is the best thing in their catalog. Honestly, it's a breakthrough record for them and if it hadn't have been for Luke's 2008 remarks about "Toto being no more," it could have been the catalyst of an incredible resurgence.

Be that as it may, I saw YouTube footage of the "Bottom of your Soul" tour for this record and they looked and sounded absolutely remarkable. I couldn't imagine being there hearing that massive tone and listening to this incredible music live. How fortunate for that crowd!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Another top shelf review Dairenn.:grinthumb

TUNEZ commented about me posting Hydra as my favorite TOTO record, and suggested I check this one out, upon further review...:D...I think I'll do just that.

Mr. T

Reaction score

Another top shelf review Dairenn.:grinthumb

TUNEZ commented about me posting Hydra as my favorite TOTO record, and suggested I check this one out, upon further review...:D...I think I'll do just that.

I would NEVER say "Told You" LG, but "Told You"... :oyea:

Rockperson

Reaction score

A brilliant album by Toto, probably their best for 20 plus years.

Spiritual Man is excellent as is the opener Falling In Between with strong vocals from Bobby Kimball.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score

Well this is interesting. I had no idea TOTO were still making albums, might have to check this out.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.