Tori Amos - From The Choirgirl Hotel (1998)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Tori Amos-From The Choirgirl Hotel (My Roadmap to a Modern Day Classic)

Awesome DKW! Interesting you should mention Live From New York as it's Tori at her rawest and it could potentially scare new listeners away! It's been a while since I only have it on VHS but I remembered one note that was very rough and she held it and even I felt it was a little jarring.

If you had told me a few years before I started listening to Tori that I would be watching an hour or so of live footage of just a girl and her piano and liking it I would have told you that you were insane.
She is an extremely talented piano player taking classical and jazz and turning them into something very uniquely rocking when she is going at it .

As far as the note goes, things like that don't bother me .I come from an 80's
US power metal background where every vocalist tries to up stage the next with their operatic high pitched screams and then hold it longer then anyone ever has before . :D

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Great review Soot. Thanks. I'm also a huge Tori Amos fan and like you I started with Boys for Pele. It's very difficult to choose a favourite album, but Choirgirl is right up there. Favourite tracks on the album include Spark, Iieee and She's your cocaine.
For those who don't get Tori, I can only recommend that you perservere and you will be rewarded. Her music is like one of those 3d pictures that you have to stare at for a while before it comes into focus.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online