Top 5 Favorite Concerts Attended

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
In no particular order

1) Earth Wind and Fire/Chicago
2) virgin festival in Baltimore 2008 lineup highlights included: Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, Bloc Party, Offspring, Foo Fighters, Wilco, Jack Johnson, The Black Keys, Nine Inch Nails, Iggy amd the Stooges, Stone Temple Pilots, and Taking Back Sunday.
3) 2002 Ozzfest. line highlights:Ozzy, System of a Down, Rob Zombie, P.O.D. Drowning Pool, Adema, Black Label Society, The Used, Hatebreed, Chevelle, Mushroomhead, and Andrew W K.
4) Lollapalooza 2009. lineup highlights: Coheed and Cambia, Tool, Rise Against, Depeche Mode, The Killers, Ben Folds, The Decemberiests, Kings of Leon, Artic Monkeys, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jane's Addiction, Animal Collective, Cold War Kids, Silversun Pickups, Ben Harper and Band of Horses
5) The Pop Disaster Tour-Green Day, Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World.(My first non festival show attended, so there is some sentimental value)

I am planning to go to the 2010 Hfstival here in D.C. WHFS is a radio station that puts on a great festival.
Lineup include: Third Eye Blind, Billy Idol, Everlear, Ed Kowalczyk, The Presidents of The United States of America, Fuel, Lit, Marcy Playground, and Jimmies Chicken Shack

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
-Def Leppard/Joan Jett around 1999 or so (Def Leppard's Euphoria tour)

-Kiss around 1999 or so (Psycho Circus tour)

-Ratt with Jizzy Pearl on vocals (around 2001): most people think seeing the band with a replacement singer is a drag but they sounded really good that night

-Slaughter/Dokken/Cinderella: Around 1999 or 2000, really good sets by all 3. The only downside was the headliner Poison.

-Britny Fox/Slaughter: Around 2000 or so. They were the two openers but blew Ratt (w/Stephen Pearcy) and Vince Neil (solo) off the stage.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
Pink Floyd backstage pass, May 1994 (got to sit in the mixing console during the show, met the band afterward)

How this came to be - I met a girl who used to date an old friend of mine, and we hit it off. At the time she was engaged to Jon Carin, who was playing keyboards with Floyd (in addition to Rick Wright, their official keyboardist). She got me a backstage pass when Floyd came through town a month or so later. I really didn't quite believe her when she said she could get me a backstage pass, but I thought "what the heck, why not?". She offered to get several people tickets, but I'm the only one who took her up on it, because I was the only one who (sort of) believed her. Sure enough there was one waiting for me at the 'will call' booth on the day of the show.

My seat was inside the mixing console, which was elevated so that it was even with the Floyd's stage, about a 100 feet away from it, and dead center. It looked like a little spaceship. I got there well before showtime, and my friend was there, and she introduced me to her fiancee Jon. Jon was super- nice to me and even took me up on the Floyd's stage and showed me all their gear up close before the show! It was mind-blowing walking around on stage, looking out at 50,000 seats which were starting to fill up, and seeing the row of Gilmour's strats behind the amps up close.

After the show, they had a small wine & cheese meet-and greet and Jon gave me a copy of the set list for that night, and he individually introduced me to all the members of the band, and I got them to sign the set list. (I didn't bring anything else to get signed, because never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd actually get to meet them).

I still can't believe that actually happened to me, it's like a dream looking back on it. If I didn't have the signed set-list and the backstage pass, I might not believe it myself. The best show I've ever been too, for sure!

You might think this is BS. I wouldn't blame you for that, I've been getting that reaction from people since the day after that concert!

Rolling Stones, 2nd row, 1989 Clemson Stadium (part of this show wound up on their live cd Flashpoint). During this show, Mick was saying that Keef was about to sing a song, and I let out a super-loud 'woo hoo' yell, and Mick glared right at me and gave me an icy "eat sh*t" look. :) I've seen them 8 times total.

Black Sabbath, Van Halen, & the Ramones - November 1978, 5th row, center stage.
Ozzy's last tour w/Sabbath, and it was shortly after Van Halen's 1st album came out...and the Ramones were at their peak.

Plant & Page - 2 nights in a row, 1995, with an Egyptian orchestra. Saw them again in '98.

(Tie) the first two Lollapaloozas (1991, '92) - Jane's Addiction, NIN, Rollins Band, Sioux & the Banshees, Ministry, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, RHCP, and many other bands

Last edited:

Fever

Reaction score
Can't remember all the dates but here goes

Boston/Van Halen/Poco/The Outlaws-June of 1979
Paul McCartney-sometime in the 90s
The Who
Lynyrd Skynyrd/Doobie Brothers/Nantucket-mid 90s-I had second row seats
Trans Siberian Orchestra-I think 2007.Second time I had seen time.

I have seen Chicago/Earth,Wind and Fire twice-good shows both times

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
Kiss - Detroit's Cobo Arena (where ALIVE! was recorded in '75) in 1976. It was the first concert that I ever attended and it kicked my ass! I HAVE to put this one at number 1!

Aerosmith - San Francisco's Cow Palace in 1990.

Journey- Mountainaire Music Festival, Calaveras County, Ca. and San Francisco's Cow Palace in 1986. OK, so I'm kinda cheating, but while I'm a bigger fan of Journey's older stuff, I also like Raised on Radio a lot. The Mountainaire festival put me in their Girl Can't Help It video (yes that's me)...

journey1.jpg

...while seeing them at the Cow Palace meant seeing them in their hometown where I believe, that for the most part, you get the best show.

Ted Nugent - The Palace of Auburn Hills (MI) in 2004. I've seen Uncle Ted 3 times, but this show stands out and above the others.

Elton John - Indianapolis in 1996. It was one of his tours with Billy Joel. That made it even better. The first album that I ever bought was Reg's Honky Chateau. Between the music and the (female) company that I was keeping that night, this show cannot go without mention.

Honorable mention to Chicago at Detroit's DTE Energy Music Theater (better known as Pine Knob to those of us old enough to care) in 2001. They put on an AMAZING show! I love seeing old bands. Their shows just seem to roll off the stage at you!

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
No particular order:

Oasis - Glasgow Barrowlands 13th October 2001 [First Night]

On the 10 years of Noize and Confusion Tour which also took in 2 nights at Shepherds Bush Empire and 2 nights at the Manchester Apollo as well as the two nights in Glasgow.

The Barrowlands is a small ballroom above the Barras market. They played for 2 hours, and by the end of it, there sweat dripping off the ceiling and down the walls. It was ****ing carnage.

Aerosmith 02 Arena London 15th June 2010

2 nights after the incredible show at the Download show, they raised their game even more. I shed a tear during the most biblical version of Sweet Emotion ever performed and they dropped the bomb... CHIP AWAY THE STONE

AC/DC 02 Arena London 14th April 2009

We had seats right up in the gods, but right in the middle. Incredible view. Though we didn't see much, my mate and I spent almost the whole gig headbanging so hard we felt sick by the end.

Black Sabbath Download Festival Castle Donington 11th June 2005

My first trip to the holy land, couldn't have asked for a better Saturday night headliner. They opened with N.I.B and the whole place was bouncing, 60,000 metal heads welcoming the Gods home. Ozzy was on top form I thought

Status Quo Wembley Arena 13th December 2008

Having seen Quo 23 times, their setlists don't change that much year after year. Though 2008 was an exception. To spice it up a bit, the cheeky devils put in Is There a Better Way and In My Chair as well as doing full versions of Pictures of Matchstick Men and Ice in the Sun. All 4 of those songs I'd never seen them do. Unfortunately they haven't played them since, but as Quo gigs, it was extremely loud and just pure genius really.

I've been to so many gigs I could change this daily, but here it is currently.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Hmm.

Rob Zombie. Puts on an incredible show, and played some of his work from White Zombie.

Ozzy Osbourne. I've seen him 3 times, and each time it blows me away. The man is talented.

Iron Maiden. Nuf said.

Mayhem Festival. Mostly for Godsmack. I'm stil in awe of how fantastic they performed.

Metallica. One word, LOUD.

runtfan

Reaction score
Hmm, hard to narrow it down to five...

in no particular order

Genesis ('83)
Paul McCartney ( '03)
Rush ( '04)
Yes ('02)
Todd Rundgren ('90)

A few months ago I saw Earth, Wind, & Fire and that almost made my top five. Other honorable mentions - Utopia ('83), Pink Floyd ('87), The Who ('00), Journey ('81), Heart ('04), Styx ('96), King's X ('94)

spudnuto

Reaction score
Deep Purple - 1971
Little Feat - 1978
Edgar Winter Group w/Rick Derringer - 1974
Robin Trower - 1975
J. Geils Band - 1973

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Not in order

Black Sabbath reunion at Ozzfest ( w/e YR the last one was)

Morbid Angel/ Behemoth/ Krisiun 06

Dio/ Dio/ Dio and Dio almost every time I have seen him he was one of the best shows ever plus Rainbow w/ Dio as a little kid. I was awe struck by Ronnie and Richie.

Iron Maiden/ Queensryche / Halford 00

Agent Steel / Armored Saint ....forget the date late 90's

Danzig ..about 3 years ago

Mercyful Fate/ Nevermore ..again ..what is time ?

Blue Oyster Cult ..anytime I have seen them but especially when I saw them front and center at The Canyon Club ..AMAZING show ..all but Eric shook my hand and the Drummer at the time Bob Rondinelli walked up and handed me a stick

Ted Nugent at the Ventura theater about 4 years ago ..damn what a monster show that was

Deep Purple ..unfortunately w/o Richie but still awesome

Black Label Society at the Wiltern ....jeez a sober Zack is damn near untouchable :bow:

Testament / Death Angel / Laaz Rocket @ the coach house in Santa Barbara

so many others but these are the ones that stick out in my mind off the top of my head.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online

No members online now.