Top 20 Countdown

cnbpjb

Reaction score
kath said:
p.s. i'm thinkin 76. heart's lil queen came out in 77, and magic man is on the one before that. boston's definitely 76. um, i think. charts run late after release, tho.

never mind this post.

Your thinking through the Heart issue a little too much Kath.

Heart's "Little Queen" album, yes, wasn't released until May 14, 1977 and that album wasn't the one that contained the hit here, "Magic Man". "Little Queen" contained the hits, for Heart, of the title track, "Barracuda" and "Kick It Out". "Little Queen" went to #9, in 1977, on the Billboard Magazine Album Charts. "Magic Man" + Heart's other hit from earlier in 1976, "Crazy For You", are from "Dreamboat Annie" which was released on February 14, 1976 (yes, Valentine's Day) and that album would reach #7 on the Billboard Magazine Album Charts.

I would say this chart presented here is from the week before Halloween 1976 (so late October of that year). My figuring of that comes from the fact that I know the #1 song the week that Jimmy Carter was elected President was "Rock'n Me" by Steve Miller Band, so that song was going up to #1 at this point. "If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago was the #1 for the two weeks prior to "Rock'n Me" being the #1 tune. The insipid, "Disco Duck (Part 1)" and "A Fifth of Beethoven" (I still own the 45 rpm of this) were the #1 tunes for the two weeks just before this.

Here is the rest of my answers to what artists released these tunes on this chart:

1. IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW - Chicago
2. DISCO DUCK (Part 1) - Rick Dees & His Cast of Idiots
3. A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN - Walter Murphy & the Big Apple Band
4. ROCK'N ME - Steve Miller Band
5. THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD - Gordon Lightfoot (this was appropriate for this time period, since the actually wreck of the ship occured on November 13, 1975 -- there was a NPR report on "All Things Considered" this week, this year of 2005 in memory of the 30th anniversary of the wreck)
6. SHE'S GONE - (Daryl) Hall & (John) Oates
7. MAGIC MAN - Heart
8. I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU - the Bay City Rollers (this was one of the follow-ups of their big #1 hit from earlier in 1976, "Saturday Night" -- the one with the cheerleader calls; this was an okay remake of Dusty Springfield's monster hit from 1964)
9. (Don't Fear) THE REAPER - Blue Oyster Cult (I can't help listening to this and not hearing actor Christopher Walken shouting, "COW BELL, WE NEED MORE COWBELL!" :D )
10. MUSKRAT LOVE - The Captain & Tennille (I agree, Kath, why they did this to us is beyond my imagination)
11. THAT'LL BE THE DAY - Linda Ronstadt (yes a remake of Buddy Holly's classic)
12. BETH - Kiss
13. FERNANDO - Abba
14. LOWDOWN - Boz Scaggs (yes, a brilliant album)
15. LOVE SO RIGHT - a lesser known hit by the Bee Gees
16. DEVIL WOMAN - Cliff Richard
17. STILL THE ONE - Orleans
18. YOU ARE THE WOMAN - Firefall
19. JUST TO BE CLOSE TO YOU -- a lesser known hit by the Commodores (this was when they were starting to go into what I call their "Brick House"/disco era of music)
20. MORE THAN A FEELING - Boston (again another brilliant album; although ever since I read it, I can't help but thinking the group is singing, "If we sit on Mary Ann, how much will she weigh?" :D )

Last edited:

Jack D.

Reaction score
Here are the artists. It's from Oct. 23 1976. Most the songs I kinda remember except disco duck. That may be a good thing.

1 IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW
Chicago
2 DISCO DUCK (pt. 1)
Rick Dees & Cast Of Idiots
3 A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN
Walter Murphy & Big Apple Band
4 ROCK’N ME
Steve Miller
5 THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD
Gordon Lightfoot
6 SHE’S GONE
Daryl Hall & John Oates
7 MAGIC MAN
Heart
8 I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU
Bay City Rollers
9 (Don’t Fear) THE REAPER
Blue Oyster Cult
10 MUSKRAT LOVE
Captain & Tennille
11 THAT’LL BE THE DAY
Linda Ronstadt
12 BETH
Kiss
13 FERNANDO
Abba
14 LOWDOWN
Boz Scaggs
15 LOVE SO RIGHT
Bee Gees
16 DEVIL WOMAN
Cliff Richard
17 STILL THE ONE
Orleans
18 YOU ARE THE WOMAN
Firefall
19 JUST TO BE CLOSE TO YOU
Commodores
20 MORE THAN A FEELING
Boston

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
kath said:
14 LOWDOWN
boz scaggs (great album)

Yes! A wonderful album. Haven't heard it in over 20 years. Just thumbed through the old vinyl in anticipation. Forced to conclude the ex got it. :mad: Now on my shopping list.

Spike

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.