Top 20 Countdown

Jack D.

Reaction score
Very well done cnbpjb. All except Falling. The artist I have was Lablanc and Carr. I have no idea who they are either. Could be a local artist. The List I found was from Detroit.
As for you Martha I just have a hard time believing you don't want to hear "I can't smile without you". In fact I am totally befuddled. I am having a tough time with it. In fact I can't smile, I can't sing. In fact I'm finding it hard to do anything. Maybe if you could go streaking through our local laundramat singing it that would help. Yep, I think that would most certainly do it. Well, maybe not.
Be well my friends.
Gotta catch a boat
Jack Dawson

cnbpjb

Reaction score
Thank you Jack D., now that you mentioned that LeBlanc & Carr, I'm actually remembering them a bit (but not much), definitely a Disco group. (I don't believe they were from Detroit, although they might have been from Chicago, if I recall). But again, I couldn't remember the song and I can't seem to find listed anywhere on the internet.

I agree with Martha though on that other song.

But btw, I do love the songs, "If I Can't Have You" that was on that top 20 list and "Baby Come Back" that had been a hit shortly before this top 20 list. I know many who don't, but I do. Yvonne Elliman had a great voice (I loved when Elliman sang "I Don't Know How To Love Him" earlier on in the decade from "Jesus Christ, Superstar") and Player was fairly good group even if they were produced by Barry Gibb (this shows the huge influence of the Bee Gees on popular music at that time).

Last edited:

Jack D.

Reaction score
Welcome back my friends to the charts that never end. Have not done any for awhile so lets go way back. I doubt there will be anyone who knows all the songs. We'll see. The first four are easy anyway.

As always guess the artists and the year.

1 SHE LOVES YOU

2 I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND

3 PLEASE PLEASE ME

4 TWIST AND SHOUT

5 DAWN (Go Away)

6 FUN, FUN, FUN

7 JAVA

8 HELLO, DOLLY!

9 MY HEART BELONGS TO ONLY YOU

10 KISSIN’ COUSINS

11 I LOVE YOU MORE AND MORE EVERY DAY

12 HI-HEEL SNEAKERS

13 SEE THE FUNNY LITTLE CLOWN

14 GLAD ALL OVER

15 GOOD NEWS

16 BLUE WINTER

17 THE WAY YOU DO THE THINGS YOU DO

18 NAVY BLUE

19 THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG (It’s In His Kiss)

20 CALIFORNIA SUN

21 SUSPICION

22 STAY

23 I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU

24 NEEDLES AND PINS

25 THE SHELTER OF YOUR ARMS

cnbpjb

Reaction score
This would have been during the time when the Beatles were first becoming really huge in America and the Four Seasons were still trying to battle with them in the charts; the Supremes and the Beach Boys were starting to come up, but the Supremes weren't quite there yet. Definitely a time of the British invasion, but there was still some U.S. artists making huge dents into the charts, a few weeks after this "Can't Buy Me Love" would make it in the Top Five and the Beatles would own the Top Five hits, of course the surprise would be the #8 song on this chart would be the surprising Jazz hit that would stop the Beatles string of three #1 songs ("I Want To Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You" & "Can't Buy Me Love"; for a record, at that time of 15 weeks). This chart is more than likely from late March 1964, when "She Loves You" replaced "I Want To Hold Your Hand" at #1. Of course Elvis was still hitting and surprisingly so was Connie Francis.

1 SHE LOVES YOU - the Beatles

2 I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND - the Beatles

3 PLEASE PLEASE ME - the Beatles

4 TWIST AND SHOUT - the Beatles

5 DAWN (Go Away) - the Four Seasons

6 FUN, FUN, FUN - the Beach Boys

7 JAVA - Al Hirt

8 HELLO, DOLLY! - (from the Broadway musical of the same name and later used, in the same year, in a different way and with slightly different lyrics by President Lyndon Baines Johnson's election campaign) - Louis Armstrong

9 MY HEART BELONGS TO ONLY YOU - Bobby Vinton

10 KISSIN’ COUSINS - Elvis Presley (from the motion picture of the same name)

11 I LOVE YOU MORE AND MORE EVERY DAY - Al Martino

12 HI-HEEL SNEAKERS - Tommy Tucker

13 SEE THE FUNNY LITTLE CLOWN - Bobby Goldsboro

14 GLAD ALL OVER - the Dave Clark Five

15 GOOD NEWS - Sam Cooke

16 BLUE WINTER - Connie Francis

17 THE WAY YOU DO THE THINGS YOU DO - the Temptations

18 NAVY BLUE - Diane Renay

19 THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG (It’s In His Kiss) - Betty Everett

20 CALIFORNIA SUN - the Rivieras

21 SUSPICION - Terry Stafford (a Elvis sound a like; many at the time thought this was Elvis)

22 STAY - the Four Seasons (with two top 25 hits)

23 I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU - Dusty Springfield (my favorite female British artists)

24 NEEDLES AND PINS - the Searchers (people thought this group was part of the British invasion, but actually they weren't, they are American formed by former surfer music man, Jack Nitzche {sp?})

25 THE SHELTER OF YOUR ARMS - Sammy Davis, Jr.

So did I win? Ugh, this thing is being sooooo stubborn making sure I get 10 characters in, because it's too short of a message. :eek:

Last edited:

Jack D.

Reaction score
You are right on again. March 21, 1964 is when the chart came out. I am always amazed how knowledgeable about music the people on this site are. I know some from the 60' and 70' but you guys are way beyond me.
I saw a post a couple of day ago and I am not sure which site it was on, but the person downplayed the importance of the beatles. I thought this would be a good list to show the beginnings of the not so influential band. Very impressive I think. The thing I found most interesting about the Beatles is that their music was always changing and everybody else was always trying to follow. They started out with simple fast paced songs like the ones on my chart. Suddenly we had all kinds of similar music. Then they turned to slower more thoughtful songs like Elenore Rigby, Yesterday and Norwegian Wood to name a few. Again the list of followers was long. Then they turned more to albums like Sgt. Peppers lonely hearts club band and Magical mystery tour. Alot more experimenting in their music. I always found it interesting how they kept evolving.

Jack D.

Reaction score
I'm back. Aother top 20. Not to many classics here. As always who are the singers? What year? No cheating. As for me I knew 10 of the 20.

1 IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW

2 DISCO DUCK (pt. 1)

3 A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

4 ROCK’N ME

5 THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD

6 SHE’S GONE

7 MAGIC MAN

8 I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU

9 (Don’t Fear) THE REAPER

10 MUSKRAT LOVE

11 THAT’LL BE THE DAY

12 BETH

13 FERNANDO

14 LOWDOWN

15 LOVE SO RIGHT

16 DEVIL WOMAN

17 STILL THE ONE

18 YOU ARE THE WOMAN

19 JUST TO BE CLOSE TO YOU

20 MORE THAN A FEELING

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
1 IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW - Chicago

2 DISCO DUCK (pt. 1) - ????

3 A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN - ???

4 ROCK’N ME - ????

5 THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD - Gordon Lighthouse, er, Lightfoot even..

6 SHE’S GONE - Hall & Oates

7 MAGIC MAN - Heart

8 I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU - ???

9 (Don’t Fear) THE REAPER - Blue Oyster Cult

10 MUSKRAT LOVE - The Captain & Tenille

11 THAT’LL BE THE DAY - ???

12 BETH - Kiss

13 FERNANDO - The dreaded ABBA

14 LOWDOWN - Boz Scaggs!

15 LOVE SO RIGHT - ???

16 DEVIL WOMAN - Cliff Richard??? Not sure on this one.

17 STILL THE ONE - ???

18 YOU ARE THE WOMAN ???

19 JUST TO BE CLOSE TO YOU - ???

20 MORE THAN A FEELING - Boston

Man, it's a b*tch getting old. I was in high school so Martha's guess is as good as any. 76 or 77 sound about right.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
1 IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW
chicago

2 DISCO DUCK (pt. 1)
rick dees?

3 A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN
walter somebody? nahhh.

4 ROCK’N ME
this aint steppenwolf's so i don't know. steve miller band?

5 THE WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD
gordon lightfoot

6 SHE’S GONE
hall n oates

7 MAGIC MAN
heart

8 I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU
uh oh. i can hear the song, tho

9 (Don’t Fear) THE REAPER
boc

10 MUSKRAT LOVE
captain and teneille. thanks for this one, america.

11 THAT’LL BE THE DAY
linda ronstadt covering buddy holly?

12 BETH
kiss

13 FERNANDO
abba

14 LOWDOWN
boz scaggs (great album)

15 LOVE SO RIGHT
no clue

16 DEVIL WOMAN
cliff richard

17 STILL THE ONE
orleans

18 YOU ARE THE WOMAN
firefall?

19 JUST TO BE CLOSE TO YOU
ummmm. nope. nada here.

20 MORE THAN A FEELING
boston.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
p.s. i'm thinkin 76. heart's lil queen came out in 77, and magic man is on the one before that. boston's definitely 76. um, i think. charts run late after release, tho.

never mind this post.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online